Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect my MacBook Pro 2017 to iMac 24" 4.5k Retina Display

I would like to purchase a iMAC 24" 4.5K Retina Display. I already have a MacBook pro for my work. Can I extend my IMac as a display monitor for my macbookPro?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 10:13 AM

No, not using Target Display Mode (TDM). The last iMacs that could act as an external monitor for another Mac via TDM were discontinued in Oct 2014.

The limited hardware and software requirements fo TDM are in this Apple article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

You can try network screen sharing but it is sluggish.

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

Frankly, a free-standing external monitor is the best and most cost-effective option and allows extended desktop; TDM only allows mirroring as does screen sharing.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2022 10:13 AM in response to Cherry_Charan

No, not using Target Display Mode (TDM). The last iMacs that could act as an external monitor for another Mac via TDM were discontinued in Oct 2014.

The limited hardware and software requirements fo TDM are in this Apple article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

You can try network screen sharing but it is sluggish.

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

Frankly, a free-standing external monitor is the best and most cost-effective option and allows extended desktop; TDM only allows mirroring as does screen sharing.

Can I connect my MacBook Pro 2017 to iMac 24" 4.5k Retina Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.