Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey HP printer drivers for LaserJet 2055DN

Looking for the HP drivers that support M1 Mac running Monterey for LaserJet 2055DN. The OS keeps offering the "generic printer driver"

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 1:57 PM

Hi,

There is an HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update download from Apple. It should be noted that the System Requirements for this HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update say Not compatible with macOS v12 and newer, but at least one report (about an HP LaserJet P1005) has mentioned successful use with macOS 12.1. So, something like the HP LaserJet P2055 driver (version 19.13 in Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support) could perhaps be worth a try anyway. It may or may not work. Look upon this as an experiment. Make sure that you have backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera) before testing anything.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2022 1:57 PM in response to PiperMAC

Hi,

There is an HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update download from Apple. It should be noted that the System Requirements for this HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update say Not compatible with macOS v12 and newer, but at least one report (about an HP LaserJet P1005) has mentioned successful use with macOS 12.1. So, something like the HP LaserJet P2055 driver (version 19.13 in Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support) could perhaps be worth a try anyway. It may or may not work. Look upon this as an experiment. Make sure that you have backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera) before testing anything.

Feb 19, 2022 12:57 PM in response to PiperMAC

PiperMAC wrote:

Looking for the HP drivers that support M1 Mac running Monterey for LaserJet 2055DN. The OS keeps offering the "generic printer driver"

HP: https://123.hp.com/us/en/

If you can't find a driver for your printer give the open-source, free Gutenprint driver a try.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

Solve printing problems on Mac

Solve printing problems on Mac - Apple Support

Feb 19, 2022 2:13 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi Jan,

This did the trick. A few minutes ago I came across the same recommendation from someone else who noted that the date on the support article is Dec 2020! The HP driver as best I can tell so far works well with OS 12.2.1 Monterey on an M1 MBPro. So I will call it a win.

The combination of HP's slop coding and mercenary support philosophy and Apple's ambivalence about quality these day is a frustrating recipe to be sure. Thanks!

Feb 19, 2022 2:41 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks, Jan.

Suspect you are right. I only encounter the problem as I'm reinstalling everything back onto a new M1 MAX MBPro that Apple gave me to replace my original after it had some charging difficulties upon delivery. A sw update resolved the issue but they still wanted the laptop back to autopsy it. In any event, it is a tedious task to rebuild the system (I don't have faith in the Migration assistant, I confess), and the printer drivers are always a chore. Shouldn't have attempted it without a glass of Scotch. Actually, that is a good idea . . . .

macOS Monterey HP printer drivers for LaserJet 2055DN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.