Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blind Mac server remotely logging in at start when File Vault is active - how to?

I have a Mac Mini as a blind server.  I would like to have File Vault activated.  Presently it is now because in case of a power failure or so it will not boot up without me needing a password.  

Now all this would not be a big problem if

1.     It was not a blind server.

2.     It was easily accessible (it is located in a storeroom on the top shelf in the back)

3.     And it would be a pain to hook a screen up to it (as said storeroom – there is no space to connect a screen of normal size)

Now when it reboots, I think it will not be available in screen sharing or for example in TeamViewer.  

So, either find a cheap (very small) screen (I have not been able to find one) that is permanently hooked up and connect a keyboard when needed.  Or connect to the Mac Mini when it asks for a password at login.

Anybody know or have a solution?  I hope so!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 6:49 AM

I know that. My question was (hopefully formulated correctly) so how to get to the login screen at start?

You turn off FileVault.

With FileVault enabled, the drive must first be decrypted. FileVault ties the decryption password and login to the same act, but the decryption must happen first. If nobody decrypts the drive in a short amount of time, the Mac shuts down. I don't know how you would disable that since the OS isn't even booted up at that point. I would imagine it would be something in the firmware that you would have to change in order to have it not shut down.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2022 6:49 AM in response to ChangeAgent

I know that. My question was (hopefully formulated correctly) so how to get to the login screen at start?

You turn off FileVault.

With FileVault enabled, the drive must first be decrypted. FileVault ties the decryption password and login to the same act, but the decryption must happen first. If nobody decrypts the drive in a short amount of time, the Mac shuts down. I don't know how you would disable that since the OS isn't even booted up at that point. I would imagine it would be something in the firmware that you would have to change in order to have it not shut down.

Blind Mac server remotely logging in at start when File Vault is active - how to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.