Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I can only restore a back-up created with Catalina, what happens when Apple sends an upgrade to my iMac and it now runs with a new OS ? How do I restore those backed up files if I need access to them with the new OS?

So if I can only restore a back-up created with Catalina, on my 27" 2014 iMac when it is running Catalina, what happens when Apple sends an upgrade to my iMac and it now runs with a new OS (eg. Big Sur)? How do I restore those backed up files if I need access to them? How do I restore them to my computer?

Thanks!

Ron

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 11:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 3:06 AM

Personally, I would set aside the Time Machine backup Drive that was used on Catalina for safe keeping.

Get a New External Drive and start a New Time Machine backup on the new drive.

One can still access the Catalina Backups if some files are on it the same way as when using Catalina

3 replies

If I can only restore a back-up created with Catalina, what happens when Apple sends an upgrade to my iMac and it now runs with a new OS ? How do I restore those backed up files if I need access to them with the new OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.