Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble loading photos on mac

Hi, I just got my new macbook air and i have been trying to open my photos app its just shows updating all the time when ever i open it since day 1. As it is my first time using mac i am stuck and cant find a solution.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 1:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 1:09 AM

Hi

How Long have you left it updating? If you have transferred a library from an old mac, then the updating phase stays while the old library is upgraded for use with the new version of MacOS - this can take some hours for a large library. If this is the case, the mac needs to be left on, connected to power with sleep disabled, and photos open.

If you have already left it like this for more than 24hours, then try restarting your mac in safe mode, and trying again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2022 1:09 AM in response to Rumi1998

Hi

How Long have you left it updating? If you have transferred a library from an old mac, then the updating phase stays while the old library is upgraded for use with the new version of MacOS - this can take some hours for a large library. If this is the case, the mac needs to be left on, connected to power with sleep disabled, and photos open.

If you have already left it like this for more than 24hours, then try restarting your mac in safe mode, and trying again.

Feb 21, 2022 1:22 AM in response to Rumi1998

Have you transferred your data from an older mac?

If so, then as I suggested above, try leaving it to update. (Don’t shut the mac down and leave the photos app open with the updating screen (you can continue to use other apps “on top” while the update goes on) ). Overnight would be a good time, though depending on the size of the photos library, it can take longer.

Note - it is not updating the app, it is upgrading the library to work with your new version of MacOS - your internet connection does not matter for this.

Trouble loading photos on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.