Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic keyboard keys won't work for volume

Ive just bought a new magic keyboard after rate original just stopped working for some reason.

I followed the instructions for connecting and it seemed to connect on its own, however, I can't get any of the F keys to work as they should. After much playing around, Ive managed to reassign the F1 and F2 for the brightness, but I cannot for the life of me get the volume keys to work.

Ive tried to follow advice that suggests unchecking the use F1, F2 etc, but I cant even find that option under the systems preferences>keyboard>keyboard? Im using an older (2013) Mac on Mojave, should I update to Catalina?

Really frustrating as I naively thought that by buying a genuine apple keyboard it would simply work as the older original one did?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 11:38 AM

7 replies

Feb 21, 2022 1:32 PM in response to max1demian

Thanks, Looks like mine is too old, which is probably why it doesn't work as it should, which is annoying as he assured me it would be fine. :-( Ive opened it now, so probably cant take it back either. I guess it works fairly well, so Ill use as I can (My old one just stopped working so keeping that wasn't an option) I might upgrade to Catalina and see if that helps as its marginally closer to Big Sur, although Im always wary of upgrades to OSx?

Thanks both for your advice.

Feb 21, 2022 1:21 PM in response to Mal-S

I dont think so, I went to John Lewis and asked for the magic keyboard thats compatible with my iMac and this is what they gave me? Everything else works fine, the keyboard connected easily on its own and the key layout is identical to the old one, I just cant get function to some of the keys (namely volume up/down/mute etc)

Feb 21, 2022 1:48 PM in response to max1demian

Im always wary of upgrading, always concerned that Im not backing up properly (Im not that tech savvy)…Ive got all my photos and files on a HD, and will do time machine and hope that it will work… wish me luck!

I'll probably keep the keyboard as from what I can see so far, its only the volume I can't get to work and so its not too much of an inconvenience to use the volume icon at the top of the screen.

Thanks again

Magic keyboard keys won't work for volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.