Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine fails backup Error 92?

I attached a new external HD which for 24-48 hours completed backup,

Now it is failing because of Error 92.

Huh?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 1:54 PM

Hi,

An online search reveals you're not the only one with this issue with TM and Catalina. About all you can do is try "Select Disk > Remove > restart Mac > Select Disk again. If no luck, I would start from scratch again and erase the drive as GUID, Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Make sure you select the top item in the list for the drive, the manufacturer's name for it. If that doesn't work, there may be some incompatibility and you may need to use a different brand/model of HD. Just out of curiosity, what drive are you using?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2022 1:54 PM in response to pwwwayne

Hi,

An online search reveals you're not the only one with this issue with TM and Catalina. About all you can do is try "Select Disk > Remove > restart Mac > Select Disk again. If no luck, I would start from scratch again and erase the drive as GUID, Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Make sure you select the top item in the list for the drive, the manufacturer's name for it. If that doesn't work, there may be some incompatibility and you may need to use a different brand/model of HD. Just out of curiosity, what drive are you using?

Feb 21, 2022 2:26 PM in response to pwwwayne

pwwayne Said:

"Time machine fails backup Error 92? I attached a new external HD which for 24-48 hours completed backup, Now it is failing because of Error 92. Huh?"

-------

Sounds like a kernel panic. So, what to do...

Perform a Diagnostic Test:

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac for any existing hardware issues. Leave this drive plugged in while you perform this. See here: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Time machine fails backup Error 92?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.