Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force touch does not work in Microsoft Word

The Force Touch "Lookup" function does not work in Microsoft Word in my new M1.

This is quite ironic, since I only ever use Lookup while writing (to look up for synonyms).

The weird thing is that Lookup still works with its dedicated shortcut (ctrl+cmd+D), and works in any other context.

Using Lookup for synonyms is really key to my writing routine, so I would like to ask:

• Since Force Touch does not work, is there any way to restore the "triple tap" gesture for Lookup, which works so well on older Macs?
  • If not, is there any other way to fix it? I would really prefer using a trackpad gesture over using keyboard shortcuts (I bought a Mac after all!)

PS: I am running the latest Microsoft Word on the latest version of Monterey

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 7:28 PM

Hmm.... In Microsoft Word For Mac version 16.59 (volume license and 365 subscription), I see you can perform a Smart Lookup via (CTRL+CMD+L), if you click the small more link there are Synonyms listed and when you right-click a highlighted word there is a Synonyms menu of choices and selecting one will change the word to the synonym of choice.

Force-clicking on a word in macOS Apps results in a preview from the Dictionary App. But Microsoft chose to implement their own dictionary, thesaurus, etc. Sorry, seems you are stuck with Word and Microsoft's design decisions. You might be able to find a way to code a macro and a custom keypress with some considerable effort or you can just right-click and go to Synonyms which will be listed.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2022 7:28 PM in response to Paco el Alpaco

Hmm.... In Microsoft Word For Mac version 16.59 (volume license and 365 subscription), I see you can perform a Smart Lookup via (CTRL+CMD+L), if you click the small more link there are Synonyms listed and when you right-click a highlighted word there is a Synonyms menu of choices and selecting one will change the word to the synonym of choice.

Force-clicking on a word in macOS Apps results in a preview from the Dictionary App. But Microsoft chose to implement their own dictionary, thesaurus, etc. Sorry, seems you are stuck with Word and Microsoft's design decisions. You might be able to find a way to code a macro and a custom keypress with some considerable effort or you can just right-click and go to Synonyms which will be listed.

Feb 22, 2022 9:26 AM in response to Paco el Alpaco

I don't recall Word ever being able to force click and display dictionary or synonym information. But it if it did in prior versions it no longer does so. Since Microsoft Office for Mac 2016, the software has gone through a complete rewrite by Microsoft. Many older features didn't make the cut in the transition.

You'll need to take this topic up with Microsoft. Apple has no control over how Word has implemented their word processor. Since Microsoft is using their own code instead of using the Apple supplied API's various features that Apple provides to applications won't be available. It seems Microsoft has developed their own similar features in regards to dictionary, thesaurus, and synonyms, etc. Microsoft has apparently cut a deal with the Oxford University Press for access to the Oxford English Dictionaries. Apple uses a similar New Oxford American dictionary and thesaurus in macOS but Microsoft is rolling their own solution here.

Microsoft Word does not use the Apple macOS Dictionary, pressing Ctrl+CMD+L opens the Word Smart Lookup right-hand sidebar window. Right-clicking a word in Microsoft Word offers a Synonyms menu listing all the synonyms. Instead of force clicking, use one of those two options.

If Ctrl+CMD+L opens Launchpad instead, you can turn that off in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Launchpad & Dock. Uncheck the "Show Launchpad" option which is mapped to Ctrl+CMD+L. Doing that allows Word to use that keyboard shortcut.

As to the BetterTouchTool, that software offers you the option to create keyboard shortcuts and gestures within the tool that can execute macros to help enhance your user interaction with the computer. The BetterTouchTool needs to be running so it can detect those custom key shortcuts and gestures then it will run the macros. If BetterTouchTool can do what you want in regards to Force Touching to perform Ctrl+CMD+L then perhaps you should use BetterTouchTool.

Or you can open the Dictionary App on macOS and copy/paste a word from Microsoft Word and run lookups that way.

Feb 22, 2022 8:36 AM in response to James Brickley

Thanks, but I don't see how this could be the right explanation. If Microsoft was forcing us to use their own dictionary and we were "stuck with their design decisions", as you put it, it's not clear why:

• we can still use Lookup in word (with the keyboard shortcut) to browse the OS's dictionary
  • we can seamlessly use paid third-party apps to make Force Touch work in Word (see here)

Since we can use the keyboard shortcut, it doesn't look like Lookup is inactive in Word.

It looks like the problem is specific to Force Touch, and reversibly so. I'd just like to find a solution that doesn't involve third-party apps.

Force touch does not work in Microsoft Word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.