Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to record my screen with internal audio in Quicktime.

I'm trying to record a video in a browser along with the audio direct from the source using Quicktime but can only record the audio through my built-in microphone. I'd prefer to get the audio straight from the browser so there's no room noice included. I see four options in Quicktime for the audio source: None, Soundflower (64ch), ZoomAudioDevice, Built-in Microphone, and Soundflower (2ch).

Any thoughts or suggestions? And yes, I know about copyright limitations. Thank you.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 5:27 PM

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

but as far as seeing soundflower in your recording options, it's the software i used to use before transitioning to BlackHole. but unlike BlackHole, soundflower was a kext extension. i don't believe that it works with macOS anymore. you should check in your Audio MIDI options and see if it's still installed. if it still works, it operates much the same way as BlackHole.

if you can't get soundflower working, you can uninstall it with these steps:

From the Finder, press "Shift-Cmd-G" and in the popup window, type in:

/Library/Extensions

Then inside that folder, look for a "Soundflower.kext" file. If there is one, DRAG it into the trash (you may be asked for the admin password)

REPEAT THE ABOVE STEPS, typing in this folder path:

/System/Library/Extensions

Then, empty your trash and restart your mac. 

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2022 5:27 PM in response to Grusvag

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

but as far as seeing soundflower in your recording options, it's the software i used to use before transitioning to BlackHole. but unlike BlackHole, soundflower was a kext extension. i don't believe that it works with macOS anymore. you should check in your Audio MIDI options and see if it's still installed. if it still works, it operates much the same way as BlackHole.

if you can't get soundflower working, you can uninstall it with these steps:

From the Finder, press "Shift-Cmd-G" and in the popup window, type in:

/Library/Extensions

Then inside that folder, look for a "Soundflower.kext" file. If there is one, DRAG it into the trash (you may be asked for the admin password)

REPEAT THE ABOVE STEPS, typing in this folder path:

/System/Library/Extensions

Then, empty your trash and restart your mac. 

Trying to record my screen with internal audio in Quicktime.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.