Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Cropping bug?

Hi-

Wondering if anyone is experiencing a bug/issue with Apple Photos lately? Running an M1 13" MacBook Pro with latest macOS (12.2.1). I haven't been able to put a pattern to the issue.

What is happening is that when I click edit, or Function+C to jump straight to crop, the crop tools and screen come up like usual in the edit mode. I can click on an as aspect ratio, and then the issue pops up. The white outline around the photo and the white grid will appear, but the photo size does not change and I can't drag the white outline to pick my crop (pre-selected size or custom). I can't select reset in the bottom right corner either. It's like the function has stopped mid-cycle, and the software hasn't finished recognizing the request that was made (i.e.- crop) and allow to adjust said request (change the crop size/ratio).

After I click done to get out of edit mode, the photo stays up on the screen, but now with the white grid outline still there- even though I've exited the edit mode. Right-clicking, or selecting revert to original from the menu does nothing. The solution is to quit and restart Photos (at least it does not require a computer restart). Then I can go back in and crop like normal. I have already rebuilt the photos library 2x. No other photos editing functions appear to be impacted.

Curious if anyone else is experiencing this?

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 11:52 PM

Hi

I would try the following:

1 - Try booting in safe mode - does it still happen? Then reboot normally and try again.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh21245/mac

Safe mode will clear temporary files and caches, and sometimes fixes odd glitches such as this.

2 - Create a new empty library and try with that library open (hold down the option key while starting photos, and click "create new". To switch back to your current library afterwards, do the option key start again) You'll need to import a few images to that library to test with.

3 - Try creating a new user account and try when logged into that account.

These checks will tell us if the problem is system wide, or linked to a particular library or user account.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2022 11:52 PM in response to Meeces

Hi

I would try the following:

1 - Try booting in safe mode - does it still happen? Then reboot normally and try again.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh21245/mac

Safe mode will clear temporary files and caches, and sometimes fixes odd glitches such as this.

2 - Create a new empty library and try with that library open (hold down the option key while starting photos, and click "create new". To switch back to your current library afterwards, do the option key start again) You'll need to import a few images to that library to test with.

3 - Try creating a new user account and try when logged into that account.

These checks will tell us if the problem is system wide, or linked to a particular library or user account.

Mar 13, 2022 10:07 PM in response to Meeces

Please send also a bug report to Apple using the feedback form. Feedback - Photos - Apple

I have seen this problem happen to, but only on my Mac with the smallest storage and memory. It is the only Mac where I am forced to use "Optimise Mac Storage" with iCloud Photos. Are you also using iCloud with Optimise Storage? Does your Mac also have only 8GB of Memory?

Mar 13, 2022 8:16 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Tony-

Thanks for the reply. Have not had time to try that yet. However, the issue has partially resolved itself. It seems if I try to use the keyboard shortcut 'C' to get straight into crop mode, that's when it happens. If I click the 'edit' buttoning the top right first, and then move to the crop tool, the issue has not resurfaced. It only happens sometimes when I try to go directly into crop mode from viewing a photo. I'm fairly certain it should be able to do that, and is still some type of bug. I'll try the safe mode soon and see what that turns up. Thanks.

Photos Cropping bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.