You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air web camera blurry

Hi, does any have an issue when the camera is blurry sort of pixelated. This issue has been occurring since I brought the MacBook in 2019. I have cleaned the display multiple times and doesn't seem to have any finger prints or smudges around it. I have tried SMC as suggest in one of the articles from a while ago. Can anyone help?

thank you,

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 11:29 PM

1 reply

Feb 22, 2022 3:20 AM in response to Helkaren

..Helkaren:

Seems the design did not improve appreciably, until after 2021 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

There are eleven pages in a discussion (Apple Support Communities) about the MacBook Air

2020 model; and nobody had anything good to say about its built-in FaceTime Camera, etc.

Suggests little change in the hardware occurred; so even if you had a 2020, it'd be the same.

• MacBook Air 2020 shows blurry when doing FaceTime - Apple Community

//discussions.apple.com/thread/251252777

"I was wondering if anyone else macbook shows blurry when doing FaceTime? it says its FaceTime HD but its blury"

[Re-Titled by moderator]

..Posted on Apr 6, 2020 4:13 PM..

Some scoffed at 2020 model; newer than 2019, said it saw no improvement at all

over prior year; but years older MacBook /Air & /Pro models had great cameras.

By 2021+, these both had M1 Apple silicon system on chip; and better specs. However issues

users had were due to their choice of early low-end models with small storage and processor

capacities; and these are built as-is. They cannot be upgraded after manufacture.

The 'Pro' or 'Max' higher versions of MacBook Pro have superior specifications; the MacBook Air

appeared to also be improved in most ways; and better new hardware will replace even these.

Anyway, I'd done some searches online and the standard Support articles, only suggest to

clean the 'display glass in front of the camera lens' + check settings; nothing new for 2020.

• 2018 MacBook Air's FaceTime HD Camera Quality Issue | macrumors.com

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/macbook-air-camera-quality-issue/

A cure? External camera of better quality, and good lighting at height of subject, things to try

to improve most all 'built-in web camera' issues; & do same thing with older windows-clones.

A temporary fix: Use iPhone, as external camera; I'd seen instructions on how-to, in sites online.

[While I'm not big fan of phone cameras; have/had SLR 35mm systems; processed my film, etc.]

MacBook Air web camera blurry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.