Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use 61W power adapter for iPhone12 for charging?

I'm having a MacBook pro which has come with 61W (Model A1947) power adapter. I've bought iPhone 12 which came without a power adapter. Can I use my existing MacBook 61W power adapter? or better to buy a new 20W adapter if there is an issue in using my 61W power adapter?

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 7:04 PM

Ozzie1910 wrote:

Am sorry but that is wrong, using a 30 or 60W power adapter to charge iPhones is not recommended because you can FRY the battery very soon, like an apple advisor told me on the phone, you can not use those MacBook charger to charge iPhones batteries because you will kill the the battery health very soon and run risk that the battery gets swollen and overheating too. period

Apple specifically states that using higher-wattage chargers works with iPhone 8 and newer.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2022 7:04 PM in response to Ozzie1910

Ozzie1910 wrote:

Am sorry but that is wrong, using a 30 or 60W power adapter to charge iPhones is not recommended because you can FRY the battery very soon, like an apple advisor told me on the phone, you can not use those MacBook charger to charge iPhones batteries because you will kill the the battery health very soon and run risk that the battery gets swollen and overheating too. period

Apple specifically states that using higher-wattage chargers works with iPhone 8 and newer.

Feb 23, 2022 6:54 PM in response to Ozzie1910

Ozzie1910 wrote:

Some "Apple advisors" can say stupid things, and that's one of them. I have an engineering background, and frankly they have zero idea what they're talking about if they claim that it will overpower an iPhone. It's strictly a voltage source. It may be current-limited, but the iPhone will control how much current draw there is. They likely have no idea what a voltage source really is, or how a USB Power Delivery device negotiates the voltage requirement. And worst case is that it's stuck at 5V, which is perfectly safe for an iPhone no matter how much current it could theoretically put out.

If too much **available** power was an issue, the 2.1A/5V power adapter I've got with an input of 0.5A would be destroyed by my outlet that's rated at 15A. But that's not how it works. It doesn't force electricity in. The impedance of the device controls the maximum current. Voltage = Current x Resistance. Or Current = Voltage / Resistance. The power management system controls the amount of current that it can take and has a limit.

Apple says it's fine, but some people working for Apple may have heard something incorrect.

Fast charge your iPhone - Apple Support
Fast charge your iPhone
Use fast charge with certain iPhone models. You can recharge your iPhone up to 50 percent battery in around 30 minutes.

You can fast charge your iPhone 8 and later up to 50 percent battery in around 30 minutes.
Fast charging works when you use an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable and one of these adapters:Apple *18W, 20W,2 29W, 30W, 61W, 87W, or 96W USB-C Power Adapter
*A comparable third-party USB-C power adapter that supports USB Power Delivery (USB-PD)
2. You need a 20W or higher power adapter to fast charge your iPhone 12.

Feb 22, 2022 11:28 PM in response to RaviTeja4c3

Shouldn't be a problem. USB Power Delivery power adapters always start off at 5V and then negotiate with the device over what voltage to provide. I believe an iPhone 12 will take 5V or 9V, which is what the Apple 20W USB-C power adapter provides.

The Apple 61W USB-C power adapter is rated for 3A at 20.3V (61W), 3A at 9V (27W), and 2.4A at 5.2V (12.5W). But the iPhone should negotiate for 9V and then will limit the incoming current to 2.33A (20W).

Feb 22, 2022 11:24 PM in response to Ozzie1910

Ozzie1910 wrote:
My suggestion don’t use those charger because it could damage your iPhone battery because is to way powerful, you can use usb-c 20w fast charger with its usb-c cable

Not really. A proper USB Power Delivery power adapter should be fine. As long as the voltage is one that it can use, the iPhone controls the input current. A power adapter could theoretically provide infinite current, but as long as the it acts as a regulated voltage source, an iPhone won't take in more current than its power management circuitry controls.

It's not much different than a wall socket that's rated for up to 1800W. I can plug in a device that's only rated to use 5W. If you understand physics, it's Ohm's Law, or V = I x R.

Feb 23, 2022 4:10 PM in response to y_p_w

Can I use 61W power adapter for iPhone12 for charging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.