Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The download link for High Sierra takes me to System Preferences and tells me the download is not available.

I'm trying to build and installer on a USB stick to reinstall High Sierra OS on an older iMac that was previously set up with Linux. I want to turn it back into a Mac. The link in Apple Support article does not work. It takes me to the App Store, and the 'Get' button opens System Preferences 'Software Update' pane. I'm not able to download.

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 7:49 AM

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of High Sierra would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run High Sierra.

Notation - if the computer is not listed, as per link above - this computer can not be used to perform this action.

Computer if TOO NEW or TOO OLD will disqualify this computer for this action to be preformed.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2022 7:49 AM in response to music.geek

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of High Sierra would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run High Sierra.

Notation - if the computer is not listed, as per link above - this computer can not be used to perform this action.

Computer if TOO NEW or TOO OLD will disqualify this computer for this action to be preformed.

The download link for High Sierra takes me to System Preferences and tells me the download is not available.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.