Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create a bootable installer (OS X El Capitan) on macOS Monterey

I made a mistake on my iMac 2008. I wanted to give the iMac to my little sister, but before that delete all data. So I wanted to do a clean install of macOS X El Capitan.

Before erasing the hard drive, macOS X El Capitan was running on my iMac 2008.

I erased the hard drive and then wanted to restore it using a clean install of macOS X El Capitan. But this (of course) no longer exists in the AppStore and so I can not install it.

Now I only have the possibility to install macOS X El Capitan with a bootable installer.

On the website [How to create a bootable installer for macOS: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372] I followed the instructions and downloaded "OS X El Capitan".

Unfortunately, on my MBP 2018 (macOS Monterey), I cannot open the InstallMacOSX.pkg because it is an older version of macOS. (Error: This version of OS X 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer).

Therefore, consequently, I cannot then access the installation file - which I need to make the bootable installer.

Can someone help me here?

Thanks in advance!

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 2:27 AM

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of El Capitan would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run El Capitan

If the computer being used does not apple on the list of Qualifying Computers - this is not the computer to be used for this process.

If the computer is TOO NEW or TOO OLD - it is disqualifies from downloading and creating the Bootable Installer - period..

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2022 2:27 AM in response to vstefan

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of El Capitan would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run El Capitan

If the computer being used does not apple on the list of Qualifying Computers - this is not the computer to be used for this process.

If the computer is TOO NEW or TOO OLD - it is disqualifies from downloading and creating the Bootable Installer - period..

Feb 22, 2022 4:40 PM in response to vstefan

When you erased the iMac did that also include the recovery volume. You cannot use Command R? Then you need to find someone with mac computer made between 2008 to about 2014 that can download the El Capitan installer. The original OS for that computer was Leopard. Which came on a disk.To do it that way you would need a Snow Leopard install disk. 10/3 which would have to be updated to 10.6. Then you could download and update to El Capitan.

How to create a bootable installer (OS X El Capitan) on macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.