Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air M1 - Momax UM20 charger

Hi,

I just bought a Macbook Air M1 and I'd like to use an alternative charger at work, the Momax UM20 (link). The specifications for a single port output are these ones:

Single Port Output

USB-C1/C2 : 3.3V-11V/3A, 5V/9V/12V/15V/3A, 20V/2.25A (45W max.), 20V/3.25A(65W Max.)

USB-A : 4.5V/5A, 5V/4.5A, 9V/3A,12V/2.5A, 20V/1.5A#

#Huawei SuperCharge & Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 3.0 technology

I'm not sure it is good to use. I know Apple guidelines are to use the original 30W charger. I've been looking for technical information about the Supercharge and Quickcharge technologies but the answer wasn't very clear. I tried a test (charging it with both charger and compare the estimated time of charge) and I saw I needed less time to charge with the momax charger, which suggest it delivers more than 30w.

Thank you for your advice

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 7:21 PM

You can use it. About Mac power adapters - Apple Support explains,

"If your Mac uses USB-C to charge, you can charge your Mac notebook with any USB-C power adapter or display."

I've been looking for technical information about the Supercharge and Quickcharge technologies but the answer wasn't very clear.

You may be thinking about Fast charge your MacBook Pro. That feature is not available on the MacBook Air.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2022 7:21 PM in response to Salvadorhk

You can use it. About Mac power adapters - Apple Support explains,

"If your Mac uses USB-C to charge, you can charge your Mac notebook with any USB-C power adapter or display."

I've been looking for technical information about the Supercharge and Quickcharge technologies but the answer wasn't very clear.

You may be thinking about Fast charge your MacBook Pro. That feature is not available on the MacBook Air.

Macbook Air M1 - Momax UM20 charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.