Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine couldn’t complete, Two of the disks to back up have the same name

I know this question has been asked already, but none of the answers work for me.

Here are my partitions:

Whenever I try to rename the 'Macintosh HD' partition, it renames all three of them and time machine shows the duplication error again. I also cannot unmount/delete any partition because they are all needed.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 7:02 AM

5 replies

Feb 23, 2022 7:24 AM in response to lllaass

This shows with 'View All' selected:

This is a brand new MacBook, I have not changed anything in the original partition setup. The only thing I did was creating a Data partition.

The error in time machine complains about 'Macintosh HD' not 'Data'.

I have not upgraded from Monterey since it's brand new. This is the setup as it got delivered to me (except the Data partition which I have created)

Since this is a new MacBook this is the first time I tried to enable time machine on this MacBook without success.

Thanks for your help!

Feb 23, 2022 7:15 AM in response to kornale

Is View All selected under View in DIsk Utility?

When did this start in relation of what you did to the Mac?

The layout of you startup disk seems strange in that there are two items labeled data. There should be only one. that is why you are getting the TM failure to backup and the message.

Did you have problems upgrading to Monterey? An uncompleted on can result in two Data entried.

Time Machine couldn’t complete, Two of the disks to back up have the same name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.