Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITunes 12.12.2.2 Windows 11 Hangs When Adding Clean m4a File via Drag or Add File to Library Option

I have a new Windows 11 PC. iTunes installed and plays my ported over library successfully. On my first attempt to add a new m4a file to it, whether via dragging from File Explorer or using Add File to Library, iTunes freezes. Any assistance appreciated.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 5:02 PM

SOLVED.

After trying the Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store, which was unsuccessful, I was poking around my Music Playlists and discovered clicking on Recently Added was the only thing that was hanging. If I added a music file the next thing I usually do is click on Recently Added to then retrieve the file, select Song Info and modify some descriptive attributes about the file.

Once I restarted iTunes from another hang, I realized Recently Added contained almost my entire library of nearly 14,000 songs since I had just reinstalled iTunes a few days ago. When I changed the attributes in Recently Added to only display additions from the last 3 days, it displayed them without hanging. The "hang" was apparently iTunes assembling a list of nearly 14,000 songs each time I clicked on Recently Added.

Lesson learned: beware Recently Added too soon after you reinstall a large iTunes music library.

Problem solved.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2022 5:02 PM in response to Nicholas_B2

SOLVED.

After trying the Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store, which was unsuccessful, I was poking around my Music Playlists and discovered clicking on Recently Added was the only thing that was hanging. If I added a music file the next thing I usually do is click on Recently Added to then retrieve the file, select Song Info and modify some descriptive attributes about the file.

Once I restarted iTunes from another hang, I realized Recently Added contained almost my entire library of nearly 14,000 songs since I had just reinstalled iTunes a few days ago. When I changed the attributes in Recently Added to only display additions from the last 3 days, it displayed them without hanging. The "hang" was apparently iTunes assembling a list of nearly 14,000 songs each time I clicked on Recently Added.

Lesson learned: beware Recently Added too soon after you reinstall a large iTunes music library.

Problem solved.

Feb 24, 2022 9:45 AM in response to msilvers50

Hello msilvers50, 

Apple Support Communities is a fantastic place for help with iTunes on your Windows 11 PC.  From the description, it sounds as though iTunes freezes or becomes unresponsive when importing an audio file to your iTunes library. 

To confirm, does this happen with all audio files, or one specific file? If this is happening with multiple files, you would want to try the steps recommended by Microsoft outlined in the following article.

Fix Problems with apps from Microsoft Store

While iTunes version 12.12.2.2 is the latest version, you may find the additional steps listed in the article helpful. If it leads to uninstalling iTunes, it is recommended to uninstall iTunes and all Apple related components. Those steps can be found in the article below, along with the steps to reinstall iTunes and software related components.

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

Let us know how that goes!

ITunes 12.12.2.2 Windows 11 Hangs When Adding Clean m4a File via Drag or Add File to Library Option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.