Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Safari v15.3 (Monterey) not playing h.264/mp4 video

Unable to play video (h.264 / mp4) on MacOS Safari browser.

I get a spinning wheel and the video never loads.

The same video plays just fine in Google Chrome, Firefox, iOS Safari, and Safari Technology Preview.

System Specs

• Machine: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

• MacOS: Monterey v12.2.1

• Browser: Safari v15.3

• Video: h.264 codec, mp4 wrapper, Res: 1280x720, Data Rate: 1.95Mbit/s. ITU-R BT.709

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 10:21 AM

3 replies

Feb 24, 2022 10:14 AM in response to Cmq-Amq

Hello Cmq-Amq,

We understand you're unable to play specific type of videos in Safari on your MacBook Pro. We'd be happy to assist!

To be sure, are you experiencing this issue with a specific website or all websites that contain videos like this? If this is specific to a website, we'd recommend connecting with the developer of the site directly. If it occurs with multiple websites, we'd like you to try the steps in If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

Mar 4, 2022 1:41 PM in response to mario49

Ultimately it seems to have been some sort of a fluke. Tests to date had been

• Check the same h.264/mp4s on multiple browsers (Only Safari wasn't playing)
  • Clear cache and cookies (Still, only Safari could not play them)
  • Restart machine, clear cache & cookies (Still, only Safari could not play them)

But, get this, eventually -- a couple of days later -- Safari had no problems playing the videos, same as other browsers.

Unfortunately I can't recreate the error and don't yet know what caused it to begin with.

So... problem solved but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mar 3, 2022 1:26 PM in response to mario49

This is such a bogus answer. Apple is falling apart. Monterey has been a disaster. I can't play mp4 videos on safari either. Works fine on Chrome. I have so many issues with many web sites and Safari now. TaxAct is one example. Safari won't open the dialog box to print a form. It regresses to an old format. Chrome works just fine. Instead of making us do the work to debug your software, start getting your act together.

MacOS Safari v15.3 (Monterey) not playing h.264/mp4 video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.