Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 compatibility with MacBook running High Sierra OS?

It's an ultra pain in the tookis to transfer pictures from my iPhone into my PC & half the time it doesn't seem to work to begin with. I've heard it's a way simpler process to go from an iPhone into an Apple computer - basically just connect the two.

I'm thinking about getting a cheap 2nd hand MacBook into which I can download my camera pix & then transfer them onto a thumb drive or such to load into my PC. I saw an inexpensive 2nd hand MacBook on eBay & asked the seller if it's possible to accomplish this; their answer:

I am not sure but I know sometimes people have issues with these older laptops and iphone compatibility, because these old macbooks dont use a current operating system.. they run high sierra.. wish I could answer more accurately. they do have 2 usb ports. 

What do you folks think? Thanx much!

iPhone 8

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 1:39 PM

It is indeed possible. Just did it with an iPhone 11 with iOS 15 and a Mac mini running macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. Make sure the Mac is fully updated as far as it will go, and iTunes is also fully updated.

You may get one of these warnings though:

Just let it install the update and it should work.

Do note, if may stop being possible with newer versions of iOS on your iPhone. If you really want to have a solution that will last a while, go for a Mac that can at least run Catalina. High Sierra is already 4 versions off current and it's impossible to know how long this will continue to work.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2022 1:39 PM in response to JoeStrike

It is indeed possible. Just did it with an iPhone 11 with iOS 15 and a Mac mini running macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. Make sure the Mac is fully updated as far as it will go, and iTunes is also fully updated.

You may get one of these warnings though:

Just let it install the update and it should work.

Do note, if may stop being possible with newer versions of iOS on your iPhone. If you really want to have a solution that will last a while, go for a Mac that can at least run Catalina. High Sierra is already 4 versions off current and it's impossible to know how long this will continue to work.

iPhone 8 compatibility with MacBook running High Sierra OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.