Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook freezes at startup

After upgrading my mid 2012 MacBook Pro to Latest Mojave (a big mistake), my Mac freezes to load to startup.

I do I downgrade to Catalina 10.15.7 which is recommended for my Mac.

Note that Mac boots to 85% and freezes.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 2:48 AM

6 replies

Mar 1, 2022 3:44 AM in response to teemee112

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version

If you use Time Machine to back up your Mac, you can easily revert to a previous version of macOS if you experience trouble after installing an update. To select a Time Machine backup from an SMB server, your Mac must have macOS Sierra or later installed.

Important: Reverting erases any changes you made to the files on your Mac since you installed the new version of macOS. To save new or revised files, copy them onto a different disk or back them up before you follow these instructions.

1. Print these instructions.
  2. Click the Share button  in the Help window, then choose Print.
  3. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Restart. After your Mac restarts (some Mac computers play a startup sound), press and hold the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears, then release the keys.
  4. Select Restore from a Time Machine Backup, then click Continue.
  5. Select your Time Machine backup disk.
  6. Select the Time Machine backup you want to restore. To restore your computer to the state it was in before you installed the new version of macOS, choose the most recent backup that occurred before you installed the new version.
  7. Follow the onscreen instructions.

If you backed up files as described in the Important message above, you can restore them now. If you backed them up using Time Machine, click the Time Machine icon  in the menu bar, choose Enter Time Machine, then retrieve your files.

If you reinstall a previous version of macOS on a Mac or partition, new backups will use that version of macOS. If your backups are stored on a Time Capsule or other network storage device, existing backups are retained; they aren’t overwritten by the new backups.

Feb 24, 2022 7:44 AM in response to teemee112

teemee112 wrote:

After upgrading my mid 2012 MacBook Pro to Latest Mojave (a big mistake), my Mac freezes to load to startup.
I do I downgrade to Catalina 10.15.7 which is recommended for my Mac.
Note that Mac boots to 85% and freezes.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/ca64b058-e9c2-4df9-8e80-d3d8cc0ae6f1

Firstly - if the computer was a running Mojave macOS 10.14 - the Catalina 10.15 is an UpGrade as Catalina is newer than Mojave.

Suggest you shutdown the computer by any means including the Power Button.

Remove any attached Drives from the computer

Power up the computer and Immediately HOLD the SHIFT key until the Apple Logo is presented.

This is Safe Mode and does a repair disk, clear cache files and only loads Apple Software - loading is slow and normal.

It may or may not allow the upgrade process to complete.

Feb 26, 2022 8:34 PM in response to PRP_53

Upgrade process was and still never completed.

The initial OS on my mid 2012 Mac was High Sierra which was working perfectly until I upgraded to Mojave and it worked for 2 days but wasn’t smooth running until it finally stopped loading OS.

I have tried safe mode but it won’t load 100%, freezes half way.

I wish to go back to my former High Sierra or any downgrade that will make my computer work perfectly as it used to be.

Time Machine could correct this.

I’m stuck, OS won’t just load 100%! I don’t want to loose my document folder.

Mar 1, 2022 1:45 AM in response to PRP_53

Time machine couldn’t find any backup.

Upgrade process was and still never completed.

The initial OS on my mid 2012 Mac was High Sierra which was working perfectly until I upgraded to Mojave and it worked for 2 days but wasn’t smooth running until it finally stopped loading OS.

I have tried safe mode but it won’t load 100%, freezes half way.

I wish to go back to my former High Sierra or any downgrade that will make my computer work perfectly as it used to be.

Time Machine could correct this.

I’m stuck, OS won’t just load 100%! I don’t want to loose my document folder.

MacBook freezes at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.