Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to intelligently select one of many textedit document open on a single desktop (or space, if you prefer)?

Here's my problem. I might have a hundred textedit documents open on a desktop. Because there are so many, I shrink them down to their titles. Then, after selecting the one I want to work on, I will zoom to full page and zoom it back when I am finished. Right now, the only reasonable options are to: 1) use the mouse to select the one I want or 2) use cmd-` to run through them all.

The only other way I found was to open the folder with all of the docs, select the one I want, select it (from all the other open docs) by opening it, close the folder, change to textedit and zoom.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 10:25 AM

Whickwithy wrote:

Here's my problem. I might have a hundred textedit documents open on a desktop. Because there are so many, I shrink them down to their titles. Then, after selecting the one I want to work on, I will zoom to full page and zoom it back when I am finished. Right now, the only reasonable options are to: 1) use the mouse to select the one I want or 2) use cmd-` to run through them all.

The only other way I found was to open the folder with all of the docs, select the one I want, select it (from all the other open docs) by opening it, close the folder, change to textedit and zoom.

To be honest 100 seems unreasonable...

Use the exposė feature.

select any convenient TextEdit file and four finger swipe down, see>System Preferences>Trackpad

You still need to use your mouse...

You can change the count from >System Preferences>General

Use Mission Control on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2022 10:25 AM in response to Whickwithy

Whickwithy wrote:

To be honest 100 seems unreasonable...

Use the exposė feature.

select any convenient TextEdit file and four finger swipe down, see>System Preferences>Trackpad

You still need to use your mouse...

You can change the count from >System Preferences>General

Use Mission Control on your Mac - Apple Support

Is there any way to intelligently select one of many textedit document open on a single desktop (or space, if you prefer)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.