Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with transferring data

My computers are just "looking for the source" and stuck in the first step of finding the data on the migration assistant, is this normal, how long should I be waiting?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 8:37 AM

btb22 wrote:

My computers are just "looking for the source" and stuck in the first step of finding the data on the migration assistant, is this normal, how long should I be waiting?

Try a different backup and compare your results..

Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2022 8:37 AM in response to btb22

btb22 wrote:

Try a different backup and compare your results..

Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Feb 24, 2022 11:49 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ok I tried the above. I think this is the problem, my version on my Mac air the old computer is not what the migration needs. I don’t think my air will upgrade to the latest version due to space. What are my options? My Mac is on the OS HIGH SIERRa. And the new pro is on the OS X EL CAPITAN

it says “ selected source can’t be used for migration. This source contains a newer release of OS X. Your Mac requires an upgrade before you can migrate from this source.”

I already upgraded to the latest version possible on each computer.

Feb 24, 2022 1:23 PM in response to btb22

If you have a Time machine backup of the old Mac, and can connect that you your new Mac, that is just as good as the original. ANY connection method will suffu=ice, even old USB-2 connection.

Otherwise, on the old Mac, use:

system Preferences > sharing > File sharing

and enable sharing the entire drive to all Admin Users.

When you go to make the connection, you will need the username and password of an Admin User on the OLD Mac to authenticate for access to the old Mac files.

Issues with transferring data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.