Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Times Roman (not the one with New, Linotype version 15.0d2e1) disappeared on macOS Monterey

I am using a MacBook Pro (mid-2020, Intel with 4 Thunderbolt ports) on macOS Monterey.

I went into Font Book and found that Times Roman, the PostScript typeface, disappeared from the list of fonts, and outputting the font list from Terminal also yields the same result.

1. Why Apple has removed the typeface, and is there a method to restore it?
  2. Will more typefaces be removed from later releases of macOS? Especially Helvetica and Lucida Sans Grande, they are important typefaces all the time.

I personally refrain from using the Monotype version of Times on macOS as they lack proper ligature support, and the glyphs from the Linotype release have a better shape.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 11:42 AM

FWIW, this is a user forum therefor we can't answer questions about what Apple does or will do in the future.

If you go to the Linotype site you will notice "Times Roman" is no longer listed. That might be related.

https://www.linotype.com

2 replies

Times Roman (not the one with New, Linotype version 15.0d2e1) disappeared on macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.