Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac problem

This morning when I turned on my iMac which is about 15 months old and running latest OS, the menu bar is not there. I can get apps to open but they are non functional. For example mail will load but I can’t open any of the emails. The area to the left that list inbox is grayed out. Web page will open but I can’t select anything on them. When I go to the top of my screen and right click there is no option to exit full screen. What could be wrong. I have tried shutting down, in plugging, restarting. Any help will be much appreciated!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 11:19 AM

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in the  How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support link.

Note: If you are using a wireless keyboard please either plug it in using the supplied Lightning cable that shipped with it. If you are using a legacy keyboard or a third-party keyboard that does not have re-charging abilities, please use any USB keyboard. Also note that a Safe Mode restart may require you to hold down the shift key for up to 5 minutes before the computer starts in Safe Mode. You will know it is in Safe Mode when you see “Safe Mode” in the upper right of the display.

Next, please restart normally and please retest.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2022 11:19 AM in response to cchall

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in the  How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support link.

Note: If you are using a wireless keyboard please either plug it in using the supplied Lightning cable that shipped with it. If you are using a legacy keyboard or a third-party keyboard that does not have re-charging abilities, please use any USB keyboard. Also note that a Safe Mode restart may require you to hold down the shift key for up to 5 minutes before the computer starts in Safe Mode. You will know it is in Safe Mode when you see “Safe Mode” in the upper right of the display.

Next, please restart normally and please retest.

Feb 24, 2022 1:47 PM in response to cchall

thank you. I did the start up in safe mode amd followed all the instructions because the problem recurred after restarting. I did try using another user and had functionality in the apps that way. As soon as I tried restarting in my admin account back to the same problem. My start up at sign in items were dropbox and fantastical. I unchecked them. But one thing, said fantastical unknown amd couldn’t be found. Also each time I tried restarting the message came up, “you shut down your computer because of a problem. if you want to open the applications that were open when you shut down click open if you do nothing the computer will continue to log in in —seconds. It didn’t make any difference same with either option. So, now am I left to reinstall OS? I don’t want to mess up. Thanks for your help!

IMac problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.