Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reconditioned macOS just stuck on search for update

I got a refurbished MacBook Pro 2020 with 4 thunderbolt 3 ports. I did the initial software update recommended when I first set it up. It only updated to Catalina 10.15.7. Now it says I have another update to do but when I search for the update it just spins the wheel for over an hour now. When I go to MacOS Monterey and say "get" it opens the update bar again and says "finding update" but never goes anywhere. Help!

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 5:55 PM

Hi Irobie19.

As a first step, start the MacBook in Safe-Mode and in System Preferences manually check again for updates.

A Safe-Mode boot will be slow because a number of basic file system checks will be carried out and system caches cleared during boot up and you will find that mouse and keyboard interactions are slow and “laggy”, please be patient while Safe-Mode boots to your desktop and then check for updates.

After a normal restart and/or software update the MacBook will be running in normal mode again.

Follow this link for a guide to using Safe-Mode boot:

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

If this does not help come back for further suggestions from the community.

Will.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2022 5:55 PM in response to lrobie10

Hi Irobie19.

As a first step, start the MacBook in Safe-Mode and in System Preferences manually check again for updates.

A Safe-Mode boot will be slow because a number of basic file system checks will be carried out and system caches cleared during boot up and you will find that mouse and keyboard interactions are slow and “laggy”, please be patient while Safe-Mode boots to your desktop and then check for updates.

After a normal restart and/or software update the MacBook will be running in normal mode again.

Follow this link for a guide to using Safe-Mode boot:

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

If this does not help come back for further suggestions from the community.

Will.

reconditioned macOS just stuck on search for update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.