Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Max back camera not working

Hello! I’ve recently bought an XS Max (this was off TradeMe, like a New Zealand eBay if you will) and the back camera chooses when to work lol. By this, I mean the back camera will only work for Instagram & Messenger when wanting to take a photo, whereas on the default camera app pre installed on to Apple phones, the screen turns black. Snapchat and other social media apps don’t give me the option to ‘flip’ the camera from selfie to back camera. Also the flashlight doesn’t seem to work but when videoing on Instagram with the flash on on the back camera, it works. Now I’m not too sure if this is just a problem with my phone, or whatever, but it’s weird how my back camera works for IG & Messenger only and not other apps. Was hoping to see if there are solutions to this? I’ve tried turning off Voice-over which most online guides covered but still nothing. But yeah again, was hoping to look for some solutions before I result to factory resetting my phone.

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 2:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 4:36 AM

Hello,

Hmm, the flash goes on and off depending on conditions. Start here:

If the camera or flash on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn't working

It can also be forced on and off. See this:

Take and edit photos with your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If no help, have it checked:

Find Locations

Good luck.

1 reply

iPhone XS Max back camera not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.