Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook doesn't connect to TV

I've just upgraded from Mojave to Monterey on my 2016 MacBook Pro. Before upgrade it connected with my TV via HDMI and now it won't. Going to displays with system preferences shows the TV as a connected display option and mirror on but nothing on the TV. I've tried altering display options without success. When I plug the hdmi cable into the MacBook the display on its screen goes really small.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 4:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 2:23 AM

I have just tried with a different TV and it works fine - still set to 'main display' but now I have been able to reset to 'mirror'

Must be a problem with the original TV then.

Thanks for your help, all sorted

3 replies

Feb 26, 2022 7:33 AM in response to Wiseowl71

Hi there Wiseowl71,

Thanks for your post to Apple Support Communities. We understand that after upgrading to macOS Monterey your MacBook Pro isn't mirroring to your TV quite the same. We'd like to work on this issue with you. First, let's walk through these helpful steps:

If your external display isn't detected or appears blurry on your Mac

If the issue is still present, let's test in another user profile. We'd like you to create another user profile with admin rights, log in to it and see how the connection does to your TV. Here's how:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Keep us updated with how it goes.

Take care.

Mar 9, 2022 8:25 AM in response to Soosie_J215

Thanks for your reply, just got round to trying a new user.

However - when I was fiddling around trying various things originally I managed to click on the 'main display' option which means the TV is now the main display and the MacBook on screen preferences box and dock disappear - the tool bar dims. And nothing visible on the TV to change the setting!

Same thing happens with a new user, TV blank and no way of accessing anything via the MacBook screen.

It is a fairly old TV

All is not lost, sharing my problem around, I was given a short throw digital projector and that works fine

MacBook doesn't connect to TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.