Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview app

When I try to strikethrough a line in a pdf on Preview, a popup appears telling me I “do not have permission to create or modify annotations in the document,” and I must “Enter the password to unlock annotation of the document.”  What does this mean?  I have no idea what the password is, and until recently I was able to strikethrough items without difficulty.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 8:32 AM

argier wrote:

When I try to strikethrough a line in a pdf on Preview, a popup appears telling me I “do not have permission to create or modify annotations in the document,” and I must “Enter the password to unlock annotation of the document.”  What does this mean?  I have no idea what the password is, and until recently I was able to strikethrough items without difficulty.

it seems the question is one of editing...

are you the original author of this PDF...(?)

You can try duplicating the PDF and try editing the duplicate.

All PDF's are just this one in particular?

Command i opens the info pane to see more information about ownership/locked etc...

From the Preview>File:

Lock PDFs and images in Preview on Mac - Apple Support

Highlight, underline, and strike out text in a PDF using Preview ...

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2022 8:32 AM in response to argier

argier wrote:

it seems the question is one of editing...

are you the original author of this PDF...(?)

You can try duplicating the PDF and try editing the duplicate.

All PDF's are just this one in particular?

Command i opens the info pane to see more information about ownership/locked etc...

From the Preview>File:

Lock PDFs and images in Preview on Mac - Apple Support

Highlight, underline, and strike out text in a PDF using Preview ...

Feb 25, 2022 3:25 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for suggestions.

The pdf is a bank statement; I'm trying to strike through items as I reconcile my bank account. I've been able to do that in the past with the bank statements, but now I get the request for a password. A bank representative told me the bank doesn't restrict what I'm trying to do.

When I tried editing permissions, it again asked for the password. I tried both the password I use for my Mac and my Apple password, but neither worked. I even tried the password for my bank account, but without luck.

Preview app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.