Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

formula for an if > formula for a sum isn't coming out correct..

so I have a formula which you can see in H48... the first part is simply saying that if the result if G25 is les than 27.01 (and it is) then I want the contents of G25 to be multiplied by 17 and displayed... as you can see the sum is displayed however if you look closely the sum is wrong..... 20.75x17=352.75 NOT 352.81.

for reference... all of the cells are formatted as numbers with 2 decimal places. I then formatted cell 48H to display as a currency. however if I leave it as a number as well its still the same answer. why am I so lost.

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 10:17 PM

"for reference... all of the cells are formatted as numbers with 2 decimal places. I then formatted cell 48H to display as a currency. however if I leave it as a number as well its still the same answer."

"Formatting" the data in the cell to display as 'numbers with two decimal places' does not change the actual numeric value in that cell. "Formatting" those numbers to display as currency (with two decimal places) inserts a currency symbol in the cell, but does not change the actual number in that cell.

Here is an example, using your stated values:

Column B contains three numbers all displayed as rounded to two places after the decimal.

Column C contains a formula that copies the number from the same row of column B. The values in this column are formatted as currency, with two places after the decimal.

Column D contains the formula B2*5, with results set to display as numbers with two decimal places.

Column E contains the formula C2*5, with results set to display as currency with two decimal places.

Here is the same table with the same numbers, but with the values set to display five places after the decimal:

If you want the products to match the results from the rounded values,you need to work with the rounded values, not the actual values in columns B and C.

Regards,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2022 10:17 PM in response to James.kerski

"for reference... all of the cells are formatted as numbers with 2 decimal places. I then formatted cell 48H to display as a currency. however if I leave it as a number as well its still the same answer."

"Formatting" the data in the cell to display as 'numbers with two decimal places' does not change the actual numeric value in that cell. "Formatting" those numbers to display as currency (with two decimal places) inserts a currency symbol in the cell, but does not change the actual number in that cell.

Here is an example, using your stated values:

Column B contains three numbers all displayed as rounded to two places after the decimal.

Column C contains a formula that copies the number from the same row of column B. The values in this column are formatted as currency, with two places after the decimal.

Column D contains the formula B2*5, with results set to display as numbers with two decimal places.

Column E contains the formula C2*5, with results set to display as currency with two decimal places.

Here is the same table with the same numbers, but with the values set to display five places after the decimal:

If you want the products to match the results from the rounded values,you need to work with the rounded values, not the actual values in columns B and C.

Regards,

Barry

formula for an if > formula for a sum isn't coming out correct..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.