Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted Macintosh HD and data

Hi guys!

in an clumsy attempt to perform a clean install of Monterey I deleted both my MacHD and data from disk utility. I have a fusion drive, and when I try to list my Core storages in the terminal it simply says that there are no groups with that name.

(See screenshot below with the diskutil list command result in terminal)

I’m now unable to reinstall any Os either from USB (Monterey) cause it prompts me a Firmware error (perhaps I should try a Big Sur usb install instead? I read it doesn’t prompt such error during installation) nor from the net recovery/reinstall OS X from OS X utilities because it can’t find any disk to reinstall the OS on.

Funny enough, when I try to list all my disks to see where the core storage is, this is what I’m presented with:

this is the situation on the disk utility side:

I’m not interested in data recovery or anything like that, I simply wish to recreate an HD to install a whichever Os on.

Do you have any suggestions on how should I proceed?

I’m quite lost at the moment.

Many thanks!

r.

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 1:37 PM

The pictures of Disk Utility are not showing any internal drives. Combined with the macOS Monterey installer complaining about a "firmware" error, I don't believe you had a Fusion Drive setup, but instead your Mac has a third party NVMe SSD installed. macOS Monterey won't install to a Mac with a third party NVMe SSD installed. This is a known issue and seems to be a deliberate decision by Apple.

If you still have your original Apple SSD, then reinstall the original Apple SSD and install macOS Monterey. Once you install Monterey with the original internal Apple SSD the Mac's system firmware will have been updated to the firmware included in the Monterey installer. You can now reinstall the third party NVMe SSD and install macOS Monterey to the third party NVMe internal SSD. The system firmware updater included in the macOS Monterey installer requires an original Apple drive to be installed internally in order to update the Mac's system firmware updater.

Otherwise you will be restricted to installing macOS Big Sur as the most recent version of macOS. There is a possibility you could put the Mac into Target Disk Mode and connect it to another Mac which is compatible with macOS Monterey. Use this other Mac to install Monterey to the external "drive" which happens to be your other Mac which is in Target Disk Mode. When the installer reboots the Mac, you may need to Option Boot the Mac so you can select the external "drive" (aka the Mac in Target Disk Mode) to allow the installer to finish. Depending on the exact model of your host Mac, you may also need to use the Startup Security Utility to allow the host Mac to boot from USB.

You can install Big Sur by creating a bootable macOS Big Sur USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

FYI, you should always include the exact model of your Mac when posting on these forums so we can focus our replies on just one very specific model. You can get the exact model of your Mac by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac" or by entering the system serial number within the following Apple article:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2022 1:37 PM in response to randomric

The pictures of Disk Utility are not showing any internal drives. Combined with the macOS Monterey installer complaining about a "firmware" error, I don't believe you had a Fusion Drive setup, but instead your Mac has a third party NVMe SSD installed. macOS Monterey won't install to a Mac with a third party NVMe SSD installed. This is a known issue and seems to be a deliberate decision by Apple.

If you still have your original Apple SSD, then reinstall the original Apple SSD and install macOS Monterey. Once you install Monterey with the original internal Apple SSD the Mac's system firmware will have been updated to the firmware included in the Monterey installer. You can now reinstall the third party NVMe SSD and install macOS Monterey to the third party NVMe internal SSD. The system firmware updater included in the macOS Monterey installer requires an original Apple drive to be installed internally in order to update the Mac's system firmware updater.

Otherwise you will be restricted to installing macOS Big Sur as the most recent version of macOS. There is a possibility you could put the Mac into Target Disk Mode and connect it to another Mac which is compatible with macOS Monterey. Use this other Mac to install Monterey to the external "drive" which happens to be your other Mac which is in Target Disk Mode. When the installer reboots the Mac, you may need to Option Boot the Mac so you can select the external "drive" (aka the Mac in Target Disk Mode) to allow the installer to finish. Depending on the exact model of your host Mac, you may also need to use the Startup Security Utility to allow the host Mac to boot from USB.

You can install Big Sur by creating a bootable macOS Big Sur USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

FYI, you should always include the exact model of your Mac when posting on these forums so we can focus our replies on just one very specific model. You can get the exact model of your Mac by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac" or by entering the system serial number within the following Apple article:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Mar 2, 2022 3:08 AM in response to HWTech

Hi HWTech,

This was the correct answer, many many thanks! I resolved by installing Big Sur by through a bootable USB.

As a matter of fact, the disk was indeed a third party NVMe SSD (I bought a second-hand MacBook pro). I really appreciate your explanation and the solution.

Also, I will make sure to post the correct information about my device every time I post on this forum.

Thank you a million.

Deleted Macintosh HD and data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.