Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extra step when taking screenshots

Just upgraded from BigSur to Montery.

• On BigSur
    • I take screenshots and they get automatically saved on the desktop.
    • I use either shift+cmd+4/5 to take the screenshots. It usually takes 1 very quick step, the screenshot will be ready on the desktop and I can do whatever I want with it.
  • After update to Monterey
    • Preference on saving to desktop was overwritten, easy fix: shift+cmd+5 -> Options -> Save to -> Desktop.
    • There is however a new unsatisfying step which could be either of these:
      • to get the screenshot saved to the desktop: wait for 5 seconds
      • to get the screenshot saved to the desktop: click on the image preview on the lower right of the screen (image below) and save manually

• I take a lot of screenshots and the newly introduced steps are going to add up over time. I want to see the screenshot saved right away on the desktop after I take them.

Question: What is/are the steps to bypass the extra steps mentioned above?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 8:37 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 26, 2022 4:46 PM in response to leroydouglas

@leroydouglas I think you misunderstood what I mean.

• Preference on saving to desktop was overwritten, easy fix: shift+cmd+5 -> Options -> Save to -> Desktop.
• to get the screenshot saved to the desktop: click on the image preview on the lower right of the screen (image below) and save manually
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/9686ed3b-d016-40d7-95cc-59c4a408c70a

This is how to reproduce the the unsatisfying step I mentioned above:

• Precondition:
    • Screenshot Timer: None
    • Screenshot Save to: Desktop
  • Steps:
    • take a screenshot using via shift+cmd+4/5
    • after taking the screenshot, immediately check if the taken screenshot has been saved in your desktop
  • Actual Result:
  • Expected Result:
    • after taking the screenshot, image should have been saved to desktop right away

Question: What is/are the steps to bypass Actual Result?

Feb 26, 2022 5:44 PM in response to Lrac22

Lrac22 wrote:

Expected Result• :
• after taking the screenshot, image should have been saved to desktop right away

Understood—

the answer is as I posted above...

Select screenshots (both "capture entire screen" and "capture selected portion" if necessary) then from Options turn the timer to None.

Turn off floating thumbnail.

Make any and all changes that suit your needs. The generic screen shot above is just that— generic.

Feb 26, 2022 8:50 AM in response to Lrac22

Lrac22 wrote:

Just upgraded from BigSur to Montery.

On • BigSur
• I take screenshots and they get automatically saved on the desktop.
• I use either shift+cmd+4/5 to take the screenshots. It usually takes 1 very quick step, the screenshot will be ready on the desktop and I can do whatever I want with it.
After update to • Monterey
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/9686ed3b-d016-40d7-95cc-59c4a408c70a
I take a lot of screenshots and the newly introduced steps are going to add up over time. I want to see the screenshot saved right away on the desktop after I take them.

Question: What is/are the steps to bypass the extra steps mentioned above?

Shift Command 5 see the Options and make changes to suit you better

screen shots

Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac - Apple Support

Feb 27, 2022 4:24 AM in response to leroydouglas

Understood—

the answer is as I posted above...
Select screenshots (both "capture entire screen" and "capture selected portion" if necessary) then from Options turn the timer to None.

Turn off floating thumbnail.

Make any and all changes that suit your needs. The generic screen shot above is just that— generic.

I regret to say but I don't think you understand. Take a look the the Precondition from my previous post, it is mentioned clearly that the Screenshot Timer is already set to None.

To elaborate, you think that I'm talking about the delay before taking the screenshot but I am not. I am talking about the delay after taking the screenshot.

Feb 27, 2022 4:52 AM in response to Lrac22

I use the great little freeware utility TinkerTool by Marcel Bresink that has a setting to disable the "temporary preview" of screenshots. I tested this, and screenshots save instantly to the desktop.

TinkerTool also lets you easily change the format and save location of screenshots. There are probably ways to do this in the Terminal, but TinkerTool is intuitive.

Extra step when taking screenshots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.