Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock keeps freezing

Hello Apple Community,

I'm having an issue on my MacBook Pro(s) (14" M1 Pro, 2021):

Sometimes when I move the cursor to the Dock the Dock freezes. After moving the cursor out of the Dock and in again the Dock is back to normal. I've had the same issue on my previous MacBook Pro (15" Retina, 2012) with mac OS Big Sur. Although I did not move my data from the old machine the problem is reoccurring.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 12:06 PM

You have a lot of very old things installed on this mac. It seems that you may have been upgrading in place for several years.

At some point old software may cease to work correctly and may cause problems.

You should probably make two backups, then erase and install, and migrate only the user accounts. This will get you a fresh system and get rid all the cruft accumulated - there is stuff in there that uses the 10.0 SDK!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2022 12:06 PM in response to x-turbo

You have a lot of very old things installed on this mac. It seems that you may have been upgrading in place for several years.

At some point old software may cease to work correctly and may cause problems.

You should probably make two backups, then erase and install, and migrate only the user accounts. This will get you a fresh system and get rid all the cruft accumulated - there is stuff in there that uses the 10.0 SDK!

Dock keeps freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.