Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning off zoom

Frequently I do SOMETHING -- not even sure what -- that causes my screen to zoom in to like 400%. I have to do a "cmd+0" to reset it back to normal. I don't even know what causes it. Can I just turn it all the way off?

I've looked in all the accessibility options without finding the cause.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 4:52 PM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 4:52 PM in response to MedimageryScience

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Mar 6, 2022 4:50 PM in response to Old Toad

Hello, I am having a similar issue ever since the new Monterey update. My Powerbook screen zooms in, seemingly randomly. I have troubleshooted for hours, on the web, being sure to turn off any zoom preference in accessibility, Mouse, keyboard, trackpad, Safari, wherever there are zoom options. But no pref I've turned off is stopping it. I cannot find a pattern in my hand gestures. It seems as if it just happens randomly while I am working. I've turned off all the tick-box gestures in trackpad System prefs, and mouse, in case one of them is doing it. Even as I type this now, half of my typing is forming off the screen. The only way I can see what I am typing is to drag the safari screen back and forth across the screen to check my typing. When I restart my Powerbook, it turns off the zoom and corrects the issue. But then, several times a day the zoom engages and I cannot get out of it without restarting. Any insights about getting out and keeping this function off permanently would be much appreciated. But I don't think it's the Accessibility feature because that is turned off. And it's happening to my all my applications as well as the Finder, not just safari.

Turning off zoom

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.