Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac logic board upgrade

I have a 2008 iMac that I would like to upgrade the logic board. Is this possible? If so, what is the latest version of motherboard I can install?

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 12:29 PM

No can do, they will not physically work and as you have been advised iMacs are not upgradeable for the most parts. You can upgrade the RAM in many (not all) and doing anything else is really not for anyone but a well trained Apple Authorized Service Provider.

To be honest if you have a 2008 iMac you should send it in for recycling ( Apple Recycling Programs ) and seriously consider replacing it with a newer Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2022 12:29 PM in response to rrausch

No can do, they will not physically work and as you have been advised iMacs are not upgradeable for the most parts. You can upgrade the RAM in many (not all) and doing anything else is really not for anyone but a well trained Apple Authorized Service Provider.

To be honest if you have a 2008 iMac you should send it in for recycling ( Apple Recycling Programs ) and seriously consider replacing it with a newer Mac.

Feb 27, 2022 12:52 PM in response to rrausch

It is not possible to upgrade an iMac to use a newer iMac's logic board. Every newer iMac logic board has a different port layout from the cutouts on the 2008 case and will not fit. Also such an upgrade is completely unsupported and any newer board may not work with the older iMac components.

If you need a newer logic board just buy a newer iMac.

iMac logic board upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.