Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey Installer Is Unable To Select The Startup Disk on M1 Mac

macOS Monterey install can not select startup disk

The macOS Monterey 12.0.1 installer is unable to select the startup disk (Macintosh HD) because it thinks it isn't the startup disk, however, it is. It gives the error:

"You must provide authorization for this volume by setting it as your startup disk. You can relaunch the installer after authorization has been provided."

I am currently running macOS 11.5.2 (M1) It appears the issue is that the installer isn't properly requesting authorization before access.

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 4:34 PM

How are you running the installer? From a USB external flash drive? Also, the latest Monterey is 12.2.1 not 12.0.1 which is old. I would recommend deleting /Applications/Install macOS Monterey and re-installing from the App Store and run it right from within the macOS 11.5.2 operating system.

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 27, 2022 4:51 PM in response to HeadphoneJack

HeadphoneJack wrote:

macOS Monterey install can not select startup disk
The macOS Monterey 12.0.1 installer is unable to select the startup disk (Macintosh HD) because it thinks it isn't the startup disk, however, it is. It gives the error:

"You must provide authorization for this volume by setting it as your startup disk. You can relaunch the installer after authorization has been provided."

I am currently running macOS 11.5.2 (M1) It appears the issue is that the installer isn't properly requesting authorization before access.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/3a2129f9-e3ef-4b5b-b4df-8c030c050867

The current stable release of Big Sur is macOS 11.6.4

I would start there, and then try your Monterey upgrade and compare your results

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.