Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect Apple TV 3rd generation to hotspot on iPhone with iOS 15.3.1

Hello, I have apple TV 3rd generation (A1469) which used to connect to the hotspot on my iPhone perfectly and after I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 15.3.1, I couldn't be able to connect my Apple TV to the hotspot on my iPhone. I am suspicious that it has something to do with network security WPA2 Vs WPA3 but I am not sure if this is the real case. Could someone please help? I talked with my carrier but they said they didn't change anything from their side related to networking, so I am ruling them out. Had conversation with Apple rep and she was very rude that she bluntly told me that I shouldn't be using Apple TV 3rd generation by now as it has no SW updates available anymore. I was very disappointed with that answers. I expect any new SW update should be reverse compatible with older devices, anyway, someone please help me with this.

Apple TV

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 2:57 AM

1. The issue is with the hotspot on iPhone. The Apple TV (3rd generation) hasn’t changed for connecting to networks. Try a hotspot from a different phone with older software to confirm.
  2. Apple TV (4th generation or earlier) do not support WPA3, [nor do any of the current non-Apple TV streaming devices]. Apple TV 4K does support WA3.
  3. On iPhone 12 or later, try setting Maximize Compatibility for the hotspot.
  4. Hotspot use may be regulated/limited by the mobile provider.

Apple TV (3rd generation) is 10 years old, has been discontinued for more than 5 years. It is therefore no longer actively supported. What works may keep working, but what has become incompatible won’t be fixed. New services may not be aligned with unsupported devices. Not specific for this device.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2022 2:57 AM in response to AppleTV_3rdGeneration_Support

1. The issue is with the hotspot on iPhone. The Apple TV (3rd generation) hasn’t changed for connecting to networks. Try a hotspot from a different phone with older software to confirm.
  2. Apple TV (4th generation or earlier) do not support WPA3, [nor do any of the current non-Apple TV streaming devices]. Apple TV 4K does support WA3.
  3. On iPhone 12 or later, try setting Maximize Compatibility for the hotspot.
  4. Hotspot use may be regulated/limited by the mobile provider.

Apple TV (3rd generation) is 10 years old, has been discontinued for more than 5 years. It is therefore no longer actively supported. What works may keep working, but what has become incompatible won’t be fixed. New services may not be aligned with unsupported devices. Not specific for this device.

Feb 28, 2022 8:59 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you, @Urquhart1244. I will try a hotspot from a different phone and update. Is WPA2 to WPA3 change is because of the iOS update to 15.3.1 or is this a change from my carrier? From #4 in your response, are you saying that the mobile service provider made the change? Based on your answer, I want to think about changing the phone or changing the carrier.

Feb 28, 2022 9:52 AM in response to AppleTV_3rdGeneration_Support

Number 4 refers to the fact that carriers have terms associated with them, notably that they will throttle once a certain threshold has been reached and there will be a fair use policy. Media devices like Apple TV require a connection to a home network, with a hotspot being a short term solution when that is unavailable. If a carrier determines the hotspot is used as a long term connection for such a device then it will be in violation of that. This applies no matter which carrier is used.

How to connect Apple TV 3rd generation to hotspot on iPhone with iOS 15.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.