Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard key maintenance question

This is a cosmetic question I figured I would throw out to the fine folks on here to see if I could get any solid advice. I've had my MacBook Pro since December and over time, I have noticed the surface of the left shift key displaying a sort of sheen on it's surface that is not present on any other key. I do use this key often when using one of my apps, but I had done the same with my previous 2015 MacBook Pro and never once did it develop this sheen to it over time. I've tried several ideas such as a 50/50 water + Isopropyl alcohol to it with a soft cloth to no avail. Please see the included photo for reference.

Does anyone else have this issue or have any other ideas to remove the sheen? Thanks!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 9:08 AM

AppleSiggy wrote:

This is a cosmetic question I figured I would throw out to the fine folks on here to see if I could get any solid advice. I've had my MacBook Pro since December and over time, I have noticed the surface of the left shift key displaying a sort of sheen on it's surface that is not present on any other key. I do use this key often when using one of my apps, but I had done the same with my previous 2015 MacBook Pro and never once did it develop this sheen to it over time. I've tried several ideas such as a 50/50 water + Isopropyl alcohol to it with a soft cloth to no avail. Please see the included photo for reference.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/25909751-4e60-4529-8bdd-42bfff0b6d6f

Does anyone else have this issue or have any other ideas to remove the sheen? Thanks!

Washing your hands more frequently may help...

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro

I see nothing on the screenshot.

This seems like normal use and I see no issue.

Materials are always subject to change— I do not hink you can compare a 2021 to a 2015 that is a 6 year difference(?)

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2022 9:08 AM in response to Burgleklutt

AppleSiggy wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/25909751-4e60-4529-8bdd-42bfff0b6d6f

Washing your hands more frequently may help...

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro

I see nothing on the screenshot.

This seems like normal use and I see no issue.

Materials are always subject to change— I do not hink you can compare a 2021 to a 2015 that is a 6 year difference(?)

Mar 20, 2022 9:29 AM in response to Theodota

At the Apple store store in Greece, the technical advice me to buy a keyboard protector

I would not ask that employee anything again because Apple sees keyboard covers as a problem:

Here, Apple warns about a clearance problem that can cause expensive (US$500-600) damage to the display:

Using a camera cover, palm rest, or keyboard cover on a Mac notebook - Apple Support

Here, Apple warns "Don’t put anything over the keyboard."

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

The last MacBook Pros that did NOT show "polishing" until after years of service were the "silver-key" models, the last of which was discontinued in Oct 2008. I am proud of the polish marks on my 2012 Macbook Pro. It shows what a workhorse it has been in the nine years I've owned it.

You can let Apple know your concern here: MacBook Pro.

However, I've been helping here for over 20 years and this is the first time I've seen this posted as a concern. Unless Apple sees more complaints than we end users see here, I don't see them changing.

Any plastic keyboard, and there are almost none that are NOT plastic, will show polishing. If that is not acceptable, all we can do is recommend you shop for a computer or keyboard that has metal keys.

In summary, a keyboard cover is NOT a solution.

Mar 18, 2022 3:08 AM in response to Burgleklutt

I have bought a MacBook Air M1 2020 on July of 2021 and even the use of the keyboard is very light until today, some keys have been "shiny" from wear!!!

It's UNACCEPTABLE for a MacBook of this expensive cost!

The materials are so cheap...

I went to the technical assistant and he told me that it is normal..

My previous laptop (not Apple) is in the same situation like this one, but I used it for over 10 years!!! This is normal!

But for a MACBOOK of 1.200 euro, with light use of 7 months.. this is NOT NORMAL!!!

Mar 18, 2022 8:06 AM in response to Theodota

It shouldn't be acceptable for a computer that costs this much, but it's the reality. I have a Logitech MX Keys external keyboard that has gotten heavier use than my new MacBook Pro and it's keys are flawless. I've since gotten the Uppercase Ghost keyboard protector to minimize wear when I'm using the laptop keyboard.

https://gouppercase.com/products/premium-keyboard-protector

Mar 20, 2022 12:16 AM in response to babowa

As I already wrote, this is not my first laptop.. If the problem was because of the skin of my hand, I would have the same problem also with the other laptops, which were more more cheaper than MacBook....

The problem is clearly on the manufacturer materials!!!!

I feel that Apple offend their clients and don't respect them!!!

Keyboard key maintenance question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.