Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create a bootable USB drive with MacOS El Capitan (or any other older macOS)

G'day. I am running macOS Monterey. I have an older MacBook Air which needs a fresh installation of an older macOS (like El Capitan). Internet is terribly slow where this device is located so I want to create a bootable USB drive with an older macOS in order to install it.

I did follow this guide: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support (CA)

However, when downloading El Capitan and the hitting install, I get the answer that my Mac is too new and I can not install such an old version.

How can I create a USB drive with macOS El Capitan using a newer Mac?

Thanks,

Bernhard

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 4:20 AM

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

If the Computer being used to perform this action is TOO NEW or TOO OLD the version of macOS for the USB Installer - this is not the right computer to do this Action.

The " Apple Licence of Use Agreement" Prohibit this action even if one only what's to make a Bootable Installer to be used on older Apple Computers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2022 4:20 AM in response to Bernhard Walzl

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

If the Computer being used to perform this action is TOO NEW or TOO OLD the version of macOS for the USB Installer - this is not the right computer to do this Action.

The " Apple Licence of Use Agreement" Prohibit this action even if one only what's to make a Bootable Installer to be used on older Apple Computers.

Mar 2, 2022 1:47 AM in response to Bernhard Walzl

Bernhard Walzl wrote:

So basically what you are saying is one needs a second older (and working) Mac to fix any other older Mac. This makes me sad because in the long run it will be impossible to fix an older machine; simply because there is no second working one.

Are there any disc images available to download? Like an already ready versions of a bootable macOS. But only directly from Apple or a trusted source because it would be too easy to tinker around with it.

" So basically what you are saying " I am just the messages and from personal experience and knowledge of how Apple has things setup.

As for Purchase Older Version from Apple Directly Apple Software

Mar 1, 2022 7:12 PM in response to PRP_53

So basically what you are saying is one needs a second older (and working) Mac to fix any other older Mac. This makes me sad because in the long run it will be impossible to fix an older machine; simply because there is no second working one.

Are there any disc images available to download? Like an already ready versions of a bootable macOS. But only directly from Apple or a trusted source because it would be too easy to tinker around with it.

Create a bootable USB drive with MacOS El Capitan (or any other older macOS)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.