Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best guide to iMovie

I'm new to iMovie and am finding the iMovie User Guide for Mac that comes with iMovie (which seems to be identical to iMovie Help at https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/ ) to be too sparse in information. I'm also finding online guides on You Tube too hit-or-miss.) I am considering buying iMovie: The Missing Manual: 2014 release, covers iMovie 10.0 for Mac and 2.0 for iOS. Released in 2914, it's old, but I think I will perhaps get plenty of helpful information anyway since I have iMovie Version 10.3.1 on my new iMac. A recent Amazon review (Feb. 19, 2022) says about this book, "Exceedingly thorough, step by step directions, and user friendly. If you are new to iMovie or have used it a few times (like me) this is the book." 

(Btw, I don't understand the difference between, or the relationship between iMovie 10.x.x and iMovie 11, where 11 doesn't seem to be a Version number.)

Any suggestions for an excellent basic guidebook to iMovie? (I say "basic" because I don't need anything that goes into a lot of detail about film making techniques and DVD burning. I'm most interested in iMovie's editing features.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 2:27 PM

There is no such thing as a best source for learning iMovie or anything else for that matter, as everyone's requirements are different.

You need something up to date, so the book you mention will be of very little use unless you're using that ancient version of iMovie.

Your best bet is to use YouTube and find a tutorial that gets you started with the basics.

Try one of these on this page.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=learning+imovie

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2022 2:27 PM in response to Free_and_clear

There is no such thing as a best source for learning iMovie or anything else for that matter, as everyone's requirements are different.

You need something up to date, so the book you mention will be of very little use unless you're using that ancient version of iMovie.

Your best bet is to use YouTube and find a tutorial that gets you started with the basics.

Try one of these on this page.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=learning+imovie

Mar 1, 2022 1:48 AM in response to Free_and_clear

I have looked at quite a few iMovie and Final Cut Pro tutorials and none of them completely satisfy me because they all contain material which is not relevant to my particular needs . . . though they may be fine for other people.

I think the best strategy is to find a simple one that gives you the basics to get started.

Then when you come across something you don't understand, like green screen or picture in picture, you can do a search for a tutorial on that specific subject.

Mar 1, 2022 8:31 AM in response to Free_and_clear

I agree with everything Ian said.

There is no iMovie 11. There is iMovie '11 (with an apostrophe) that refers to iMovie in Year 2011. However, iMovie '11 is actually iMovie version 9. I know, very confusing.

The iMovie online help menu link that you posted is the best step-by-step tutorial that I have seen. It has a search engine that lets you search by topic as well as search word. Even though the link references iMovie 10.1, Apple updates it so that it is current.

The best way to learn iMovie is to create a junk project that you fill with photos, video clips, and audio clips. Use the help menu link to get you started, and then practice all of the functions. Go through the items listed in the main iMovie menu at the top of the iMovie screen page. Refer to the online help menu if you have questions. You will be an expert in no time.

-- Rich

Best guide to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.