Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a bootable USB drive

Hello everyone.

I would like some help creating a bootable macOS Catalina USB drive because so far, it's not working for me.

I have downloaded the Catalina installer and it's sitting on an external hard drive. The file path is /Volumes/Adam's FreeAgent/macOS/Install macOS Catalina.app

I would like to create the bootable volume on my 32GB USB stick. The file path is /Volumes/ADAM'S 32GB

I typed this into Terminal thinking it would work, but I jus get the error "command not found"

sudo /Volumes/Adam's FreeAgent/macOS/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/ADAM'S 32GB

Could someone please point out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 1:49 PM

Reread How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

The installer should be in the Applications folder for one thing. I wouldn't use an apostrophe in a volume name for another.

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 1, 2022 2:31 AM in response to dialabrain

Hello and thank you for your reply.

I'm a complete novice to this, so I didn't realise that the installer has to be in the Applications folder or that I couldn't use apostrophes.

I moved the installer to the Applications folder as you suggested. I then changed he name of my USB drive from ADAM'S 32GB to one word without an apostrophe and it worked perfectly.

I would love to understand more about how this process works, why the installer must be in the Applications folder and why I can't use apostrophes, but that's probably a conversation for a different thread :)

Creating a bootable USB drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.