Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up a new ipad without wiping old one

I have an old iPad mini that I've used for years, and I just purchased a newer model. The old iPad is cellular enabled, and I pay for service through Verizon and the device has an assigned phone number. I would like to set up the new iPad as my primary device and to have it added onto my phone plan with the assigned number that is currently being used for my old iPad. However, I don't want to wipe the content of my old iPad. Is there a way to do that? If so, how?

iPad mini 6 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 8:54 AM

Presumably your new iPad is also a WiFi+Cellular model. If so, you should be able to simply transfer your Cellular service plan by moving your existing DataSIM from your old to new iPad:

Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPad - Apple Support

Should you wish to do so, you can “transfer” (actually copy) all your existing data and settings from your old to new iPad.

These support pages should get you started with setup of your new iPad - and the methods of transferring your data from old to new iPad:

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If the donor iPad, from which you are transferring your data precedes iOS12.4, QuickStart will not be available.

“Transfer” is a misnomer. In reality, your data and setup is merely cloned to the new device. Nothing is moved or removed from the original device.

An alternative is to restore either an iCloud or iTunes backup to the new device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2022 8:54 AM in response to becker14

Presumably your new iPad is also a WiFi+Cellular model. If so, you should be able to simply transfer your Cellular service plan by moving your existing DataSIM from your old to new iPad:

Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPad - Apple Support

Should you wish to do so, you can “transfer” (actually copy) all your existing data and settings from your old to new iPad.

These support pages should get you started with setup of your new iPad - and the methods of transferring your data from old to new iPad:

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If the donor iPad, from which you are transferring your data precedes iOS12.4, QuickStart will not be available.

“Transfer” is a misnomer. In reality, your data and setup is merely cloned to the new device. Nothing is moved or removed from the original device.

An alternative is to restore either an iCloud or iTunes backup to the new device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Setting up a new ipad without wiping old one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.