Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

back-up error Time capsule

My time machine back-up is showing this error when it tries to backup to my Time Capsule

The backup disk image “Xxxxx's new MacBook Pro.sparsebundle” could not be accessed (error 19).

I tried holding the shift key and clicking on clock icon, then clicking consistency scan but still comes up as same error.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 7:02 PM

Unfortunately, Apple does not provide any kind of "Error List", so error 19......whatever that might be......is not going to tell us anything useful.

I assume that you have done the following a few times:

Powered off the Time Capsule

Restarted your Mac

Powered the Time Capsule back up

If not, that would be a good task to perform

It would also be worthwhile to try Verify Backups. To do that......

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Select Verify Backups and run the process

If the process can run, it might take anywhere from 10-60 minuted for the check to complete

You can watch the progress by clicking on the Time Machine "clock" icon and then clicking on Open Time Machine Preferences

If the process cannot run, or errors are reported, unfortunately this would indicate that your backup file has become corrupted. In that case, all that you can do is erase the current backup file and try to start over again with a new backup.

Apple does not really mention that Time Machine backups to a Time Capsule became a lot more complicated, with more chances for errors when Big Sur was introduced. Monterey continues the tradition.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2022 7:02 PM in response to KyW4

Unfortunately, Apple does not provide any kind of "Error List", so error 19......whatever that might be......is not going to tell us anything useful.

I assume that you have done the following a few times:

Powered off the Time Capsule

Restarted your Mac

Powered the Time Capsule back up

If not, that would be a good task to perform

It would also be worthwhile to try Verify Backups. To do that......

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Select Verify Backups and run the process

If the process can run, it might take anywhere from 10-60 minuted for the check to complete

You can watch the progress by clicking on the Time Machine "clock" icon and then clicking on Open Time Machine Preferences

If the process cannot run, or errors are reported, unfortunately this would indicate that your backup file has become corrupted. In that case, all that you can do is erase the current backup file and try to start over again with a new backup.

Apple does not really mention that Time Machine backups to a Time Capsule became a lot more complicated, with more chances for errors when Big Sur was introduced. Monterey continues the tradition.

back-up error Time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.