Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are Keyboard covers safe to use?

I currently own a 14" MBP and have an ultra thin clear keyboard cover on. Is it safe to keep it on or are these MacBooks not designed to support these covers on when the lid is closed?

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 9:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 9:16 AM

CesarV02 wrote:

I currently own a 14" MBP and have an ultra thin clear keyboard cover on. Is it safe to keep it on or are these MacBooks not designed to support these covers on when the lid is closed?

Here is your answer from Apple:

Using a camera cover, palm rest, or keyboard cover on a Mac notebook - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2022 9:16 AM in response to CesarV02

CesarV02 wrote:

Here is your answer from Apple:

Using a camera cover, palm rest, or keyboard cover on a Mac notebook - Apple Support

Mar 1, 2022 9:54 PM in response to CesarV02

CesarV02 Said:

"Are Keyboard covers safe to use?: I currently own a 14" MBP and have an ultra thin clear keyboard cover on. Is it safe to keep it on or are these MacBooks not designed to support these covers on when the lid is closed?"

-------

Based on Personal Experience:

No. Keyboard covers are not safe to use. This has caused condensation on a former Mac, in which Apple would not perform service. So, I no longer use them. You should consider the same.

Mar 1, 2022 9:53 PM in response to CesarV02

Those who acquired ultra-thin microfiber cloth protectors & Removes them

after opening lid, found 'protection from keyboard marks' on a display. Since

the lid will never meet or touch those keys, when it's closed..

When testing fit of those, be sure too there is no overheat potential; the Mac

may not fully be off or could be running, with display off; with the lid closed.

[Other ones should be avoided, even if bought from Apple authorized

service provider; who is an Apple reseller. They may have better ideas.]

One of my older macs had silicone keyboard cover that fit closely & was OK

since there was enough free space between key-tops and display; a silcone

cover also did not fit tight; which in itself was a hassle, since it would move.

Those were thin and had each keys' info, imprinted on them all. [A neoprene

protective full case was a problem, since that stayed in place when open to

trap heat, on the other hand.] Had loops over corners of Mac display, held it.

Are Keyboard covers safe to use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.