Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey wont install onto my ssd

running Big Sur 11.6.4.on my imac 2017

I have downloaded Monterey and attempted to install onto my Macintosh SSD (APPLE SM1024F)

When the install "completes" it doesn't open to Monterey but the operating system remains as Big Sur

Researching, I find that some 3rd party SSDs won't take the install but according to the documentation in System Information this is a an apple ssd.

Any suggestions as to why this might be happening?

Apple SSD Controller:

Vendor: Apple

Product: SSD Controller

Physical Interconnect: PCI

Link Width: x4

Link Speed: 5.0 GT/s

Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

APPLE SSD SM1024F:

Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,555,581,440 bytes)

Model: APPLE SSD SM1024F            

Revision: UXM6JA1Q

Serial Number: S1FVNYADA04940    

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 12:07 PM

I assume you're trying to install into an internal SSD.

Here are Monterey-compatible Macs. macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

I have it running beautifully on my Late 2015 21.5" Retina iMac; I'd think your model would run it just fine also. But, no two Mac are ever exactly the same and there are always operational differences and quirks to deal with.

Do you have installed any cleaners, fixers, optimizers or AV software? If so they may be interfering with the process.

You might want to try to install it on an external drive. Not to boot from necessarily, just to determine if the process will complete there. If it does, there is something amiss in your Mac that has yet to be discovered. If it doesn't then that tends to say it's not your internal drive.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2022 12:07 PM in response to Archibaldthegrim

I assume you're trying to install into an internal SSD.

Here are Monterey-compatible Macs. macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

I have it running beautifully on my Late 2015 21.5" Retina iMac; I'd think your model would run it just fine also. But, no two Mac are ever exactly the same and there are always operational differences and quirks to deal with.

Do you have installed any cleaners, fixers, optimizers or AV software? If so they may be interfering with the process.

You might want to try to install it on an external drive. Not to boot from necessarily, just to determine if the process will complete there. If it does, there is something amiss in your Mac that has yet to be discovered. If it doesn't then that tends to say it's not your internal drive.

Monterey wont install onto my ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.