Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I download the latest version of safari on my iMac? I have 20" mid 2007 with OS X E

How can I update the latest version of safari on my iMac? I have a 20" mid 2007 with OS X E Capitan 10.11.6. I was informed that I needed the new version 12 or more. I tried to update macOS Monterey an I couldn't.

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 12:12 PM

7 replies

Mar 6, 2022 9:30 AM in response to padams35

What are the main user interface differences; speed, visual appearance in terms of the variable hue changes in the quick right hand drop down menu, or any other notable recommendations to ensure the value of current products comparatively reach all corners of the market trying to advance multiple areas of life at one?

How does Opera rank in terms of the other large browsers or how does it link the products manufactured before 2007? If you feel the user experience is greatly effected by not having at least a device from the last 15 years then how can I moderately upgrade the inner workings behind the unibodies sleek and polished & very popular Gray design.

Mar 6, 2022 9:37 AM in response to matalena54

The reason you cannot upgrade Safari by itself is it is integrated into Mac OS. Because the last version of Mac OS a 2007 iMac will run it 10.11.6 that means you are at the end of the road with no other options on a 2007. If you need later versions of Mac OS (therefore Safari) it is time for a more up-to-date Mac. Please remember in computer years a 2007 is a REALLY old.

Mar 6, 2022 11:56 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for the answer.

i am just wondering is it just the technical services that will stop being functional, the companies attention to products if they stop work? I am just seeing where the view might be better put into recalling products of that age and giving them the labour of replacement, refurbishment, keeping the foot print low and ensuring the companies policies of Mac technicians working on said products.

Mar 6, 2022 12:18 PM in response to Nathanie7-4

Software developers (most all of them) tend to develop on newer technologies. As a 2007 is 15 years old the technologies used back then are quite old. Younger software engineers of course are only trained on new technologies, not older ones unless they are still in heavy use in industry. This means the older and older your Mac (PC, Mainframe, etc..) is the more difficult it is to find engineers that will work on it.

Where I work (it's a government employer) we happen to use custom applications that are VERY outdated by modern standards. The difficulty we have is finding any engineer that will work or our software because what it was developed in is so old. Our youngest engineer is well over 60 years old and so we are in a major push to replace our software simply because the available workforce is dwindling.

You can keep your 2007 as long as you want and as long as it works, however don't expect more current software to run on it including web applications. That is a fact of life with technology.

Mar 7, 2022 12:42 PM in response to matalena54

I find that Vivaldi is a better option than the current Opera. Opera was acquired by a Chinese company years ago and for the users who loved the classic Opera v12.x (pun not intended) the new owners destroyed the browser. Vivaldi was created by one of the original Opera founders and is also based on the Chromium rendering engine, but has heavily customized the browser with lots of extra power user options. Google Chrome I believe may still be supported on El Capitan.

Keep in mind that I would not expect these browsers will support El Capitan for too many more years.

How can I download the latest version of safari on my iMac? I have 20" mid 2007 with OS X E

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.