Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to import photos into photos from your desktop

Can I drag photos from my desktop into albums in photos or should I 'import' which is better? Is dragging not the best option??

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 3:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 5:07 AM

I like to drag the photos directly into photos, if it are only a few. It is working well for me on macOS 11 and macOS 12. Which version are you using?

If the photos are already in a folder you can simply open the destination album in Photos and drag the photos into the open album or onto the album name in the sidebar in photos to import them and to add them to the album at the same time.

Importing by dragging may not work, however, if the files are on iCloud Drive, for example if your Desktop is syncing with iCloud and you are trying to drag from the Desktop. Then you have to ensure, that the photos have been downloaded from iCloud. There must not be a download arrow be shown for the files you want to drag.

For example, I dragged a folder with two images from the Desktop into the Photos Sidebar, and Photos imported only one photo, not two, because one of the photos needed downloading:

You can also drag a folder or selected photos below the the word "my albums" in the sidebar, or into a folder in the sidebar and photos will create a new album.

Importing by drag and drop is fine, but for exporting it is usually not sufficient, because we don't have any control about the quantity of the dragged photos. If the quality of exported photos matters, use File > Export.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2022 5:07 AM in response to LETRWT

I like to drag the photos directly into photos, if it are only a few. It is working well for me on macOS 11 and macOS 12. Which version are you using?

If the photos are already in a folder you can simply open the destination album in Photos and drag the photos into the open album or onto the album name in the sidebar in photos to import them and to add them to the album at the same time.

Importing by dragging may not work, however, if the files are on iCloud Drive, for example if your Desktop is syncing with iCloud and you are trying to drag from the Desktop. Then you have to ensure, that the photos have been downloaded from iCloud. There must not be a download arrow be shown for the files you want to drag.

For example, I dragged a folder with two images from the Desktop into the Photos Sidebar, and Photos imported only one photo, not two, because one of the photos needed downloading:

You can also drag a folder or selected photos below the the word "my albums" in the sidebar, or into a folder in the sidebar and photos will create a new album.

Importing by drag and drop is fine, but for exporting it is usually not sufficient, because we don't have any control about the quantity of the dragged photos. If the quality of exported photos matters, use File > Export.

how to import photos into photos from your desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.