Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgraded from 11pro max to 12 pro max - wireless charge just flashing now ;-(

So I upgraded from 11pro max to 12 pro max - wireless charge just flashing now, why is it just flashing and not charging? ;-(

Does this mean no wireless chargers will work now?

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 3:44 PM

iamthecount wrote:

ok, but what's the benefit of the coil in this case? any point if the non-coil case still works with magsafe? What's the point?

The coil in the case has magnets. MagSafe chargers use magnets. Cases without the MagSafe ring, make it a little harder (depending on the thickness of the case) for MagSafe to lock into place precisely. That's what you want. The MagSafe charger attaches magnetically to the back of the phone. It's precise. Foolproof. If the case doesn't have the ring, it may not attach firmly. But if you use a MagSafe charger with a MagSafe case, the charger attaches firmly to the phone for error proof charging.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2022 3:44 PM in response to iamthecount

iamthecount wrote:

ok, but what's the benefit of the coil in this case? any point if the non-coil case still works with magsafe? What's the point?

The coil in the case has magnets. MagSafe chargers use magnets. Cases without the MagSafe ring, make it a little harder (depending on the thickness of the case) for MagSafe to lock into place precisely. That's what you want. The MagSafe charger attaches magnetically to the back of the phone. It's precise. Foolproof. If the case doesn't have the ring, it may not attach firmly. But if you use a MagSafe charger with a MagSafe case, the charger attaches firmly to the phone for error proof charging.

Mar 5, 2022 11:50 AM in response to iamthecount

Hello MVegas21,

Thank you for confirming that your iPhone will charge wirelessly without the case. You might need to use a different case with your iPhone: How to wirelessly charge your iPhone

The "Learn more" section of this article says:

•Wireless charging uses magnetic induction to charge your iPhone. Don't place anything between your iPhone and the charger. Magnetic mounts, magnetic cases, or other objects between your iPhone and the charger might reduce performance or damage magnetic strips or RFID chips like those found in some credit cards, security badges, passports, and key fobs. If your case holds any of these sensitive items, remove them before charging or make sure that they aren’t between the back of your iPhone and the charger.

•If your iPhone isn't charging or is charging slowly and your iPhone has a thick case, metal case, or battery case, try removing the case.

Take care.

Mar 5, 2022 11:40 AM in response to MVegas21

Thanks, tried removing and yes it worked!

the photo shows here the cases I have, the usual ESR clear cases, one with some kind of ring (no idea why I need that as I thought it automatically works with MagSafe without the ring doesn’t it?) and the other without.

doesn’t work with either of them.

my 11Pro Max was fine with these kinds of cases :(

Mar 5, 2022 8:12 AM in response to iamthecount

Hi there iamthecount,

If you have a case on your iPhone, remove it to see if it will charge wirelessly without it. If it still doesn't charge, make sure it charges with the USB cable and adapter. If it's not charging at all, tap Settings > General > Shut Down, to power off the device. After it powers off, turn it back on then test it out.

Reply if you need more help.

Cheers.

Mar 5, 2022 2:14 PM in response to iamthecount

You are using a case specifically designed for MagSafe charging. The charger you used for iPhone 11 would have the charging coil not optimally positioned for MagSafe.

MagSafe is simply FANTASTIC. Since you have this case and you have an iPhone specifically designed to take advantage of MagSafe, you'd make your life ever so much more convenient if you bought a MagSafe charger. You can get one from Apple or any number of sellers on Amazon.

Mar 5, 2022 3:41 PM in response to iamthecount

iamthecount wrote:

hi there, I'm afraid I tried both cases, the one without also had a similar issue. It seems its not as good as the 11 pro max I had perhaps when it has the same case thickness on?

When iPhone 12 and 13 arrived with MagSafe charing, many older Qi Wireless chargers didn't have coils positioned in the right place to charge an iPhone well, with or without a case. This is especially the case with charging stands. I wound up moving fully over to MagSafe some time ago and replaced every charger I had with MagSafe. This is two at home, two to travel with and for my office. Once you go MagSafe, you'll never want to go back.

upgraded from 11pro max to 12 pro max - wireless charge just flashing now ;-(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.