Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I COMPLETELY uninstall Avast anti-virus (free edition)on my 2007 iMac usingTerminal?

How do I COMPLETELY uninstall Avast anti-virus (free edition)on my 2007 iMac using Terminal?

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 10:03 AM

3 replies

Mar 6, 2022 11:23 AM in response to msobol3

Back up, first. Before making any further changes, try to preserve your data.

Failing the Avast removal tool discussed in the replies above, expect to wipe the Mac, and reinstall, and migrate documents and settings and not apps. How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support with a link to erasing included there.

Anti-malware can be difficult to distinguish from malware, with how it ties into the platform.

And some of the anti-malware removal tools can fail.

And removed anti-malware apps can leave latent corruptions, which removal tools and other forms of app cleaners can miss.

For those unfamiliar with some of the history of this particular vendor: https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjdkq7/avast-antivirus-sells-user-browsing-data-investigation

Mar 5, 2022 11:37 AM in response to msobol3

You are wise to get rid of Avast. It should have an uninstaller on their web site. Avast is very difficult to install all of its various bits and pieces. I would use their uninstaller. It should do the complete job. If one is not available, the app I have successfully used for years to do removals is AppCleaner. It's free. Open it and drag the Avast icon into the presented window. It will then offer associated files for you to accept by selecting them. Clock the remove button and it's done.

How do I COMPLETELY uninstall Avast anti-virus (free edition)on my 2007 iMac usingTerminal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.