Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make Safari ask to save new password mac

How do I get Safari to ask to save new passwords on MacBook Pro? I set it up with a new iCloud account. Now I can't get that prompt to save passwords as I enter them from 1Password.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 10:17 AM

this does NOT answer the question, "How do I get that Prompt 'save password?' when entering one new to this macbook pro and it's icloud account?!?!?!?

I've asked this question as many ways as I can imagine and always get this "autofill" answer. BUT that only works for passwords already IN the Keychain!!! I want to enter them, using 1Password, as I go along with this new machine. I used to ALWAYS get that "save this password in keychain?" question when I entered one New to the Machine. Now I never do.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2022 10:17 AM in response to Brian_P7

this does NOT answer the question, "How do I get that Prompt 'save password?' when entering one new to this macbook pro and it's icloud account?!?!?!?

I've asked this question as many ways as I can imagine and always get this "autofill" answer. BUT that only works for passwords already IN the Keychain!!! I want to enter them, using 1Password, as I go along with this new machine. I used to ALWAYS get that "save this password in keychain?" question when I entered one New to the Machine. Now I never do.

Mar 5, 2022 12:31 PM in response to seena288

Hello seena288.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. The steps below may help you out with not being able to save a password on your Mac.

• Make sure you selected to autofill passwords: Choose Safari > Preferences, click AutoFill, then make sure “User names and passwords” is selected.
  • Check whether you chose to never save the password for the website: Choose Safari > Preferences, click Passwords, then unlock your passwords. If a website’s password shows “never saved,” click  to remove it from this list. Then click  to add the website, your user name, and your password to the list.
  • Make sure you chose to use Touch ID for passwords: If your Mac or Apple keyboard has Touch ID, and you want to use Touch ID to fill in user names and passwords, make sure you select Password AutoFill in the Touch ID pane of System Preferences. See Change Touch ID preferences.

You can find this information in the "If you can’t save a password or autofill a saved password" section of Autofill your user name and password in Safari on Mac

Cheers.

Make Safari ask to save new password mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.