Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer to new iMac

I have a new iMac. Are there any items that you would recommend that I do NOT transfer from my old Mac ? For example, should I not transfer "systems" ?

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 2:01 PM

The only items that you do not need or want could be the old 32 bit apps.but even if this gets transferred you can delete from the app folder later (they will have a line through them). I have never excluded anything in the past and all was fine using Migration Assistant.

3 replies

Mar 6, 2022 10:50 AM in response to Brindyll50

Below are instructions for the most reliable and overall fastest method to migration. I strongly recommend that you follow them to the letter.

Please use the steps as outlined in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant. If you do not have a Time Machine backup, then make one! If you do not know how please refer to Back up your Mac with Time Machine which only requires an External Hard Disk, if you need a External Hard Disk many experiences users on these forums prefer the OWC Mercury Elite Pro due to it's reasonable cost, high level of reliability and ease of service. You can use the drive with the new Mac to backup when you are done migrating. 

Transfer to new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.